South Cheshire Bottle Swap

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great to catch up with you all today, the trips went very smoothly, only small hick up was I ended up with 2 of @GeorgieV 's punk IPAs (worse problems to have 😏) instead of the bitter (sorry Georgie!).

I'm unfortunately abstaining till the end of the month, however dont let that stop you all from drinking your beers and offering feedback.

Look forward to hopefully seeing you all again in the future.
Cheers

... oh, and to be clear ... the Chevallier Best Bitter beers, in PET bottles, were bottled from corny keg (via (cheapo, carbonation cap-stlye) counter-pressure bottler) Wednesday night, there's fully conditioned and there should be no sediment in the bottles, they can be consumed whenever you want wink... ... the Smoked Beer will need some time to let the sediment settle and probably a careful pour (or pour into large jug and then decant into glass), whenevr you've mustered enough gumption athumb..

Cheers, PhilB
The smoked is pretty clear already by the looks. Will give it a few days to be safe.
image.jpg

edit : pic is not great. bottom half looks good too

Just before anyone tucks in I've given a quick summary of my beers as below, hopefully it may help you decifer which beers are which, so you can give feedback.

HB - Hallertau Blanc single hop pale. I tried a sip of this at bottling and was really impressed with the fresh grape, however this has mellowed a bit. They've still not fully carbonated or conditioned, but I think it stands up. It would be a great hop for a Brut IPA.

PP - Plum Porter. There's a number of things I think that have gone wrong with this one. It was originally a porter with plum essence added, but the essence is totally over powering on the aroma and chemically on the taste. I normally cold crash to reduce trub in the bottle, but didn't on this one as I was told it has no effect 🙄, last time I believe that. I also think it has a wild yeast infection, with it gushing and tasting off.

EIPA - English IPA. Turned out more of a golden ale as the hopping and bittering rates were not high enough. Still fairly pleasant, but one I'd tweak next time.

MB (black cap) - Munich bitter - this one was amazing before bottling, sweet toffee malt flavour with fruit esters. Only for the yeast to ruin it afterwards. The liquid yeast was called Brexit, so I shouldn't have been surprised!

BL/SB - Swartz beer - really happy with this one. Only wish I bottled more. I've saved 10l in demijohns to lager, but as I've been doing dry Jan I don't have the bottles to spare yet.

BS - Black Sabbath - hefeweizen yeast stout. Tastes great at bottling. Fermented high to give banana and spice. Hope it's as good once carbonated and conditioned.

Thanks for that Nick, looking forward to tasting them, nothing like getting your excuses in first 😉

As a matter of protocol, how do we want to manage the feedback on the beers to the actual brewers? Shall we post here, take it to a group or private DM or what?

Thanks for that Nick, looking forward to tasting them, nothing like getting your excuses in first 😉

As a matter of protocol, how do we want to manage the feedback on the beers to the actual brewers? Shall we post here, take it to a group or private DM or what?
Set the bar low and you'll always beat it 😁. I'm happy to have my laundry aired in the open, but may be best to check with the sender by DM first

Set the bar low and you'll always beat it 😁. I'm happy to have my laundry aired in the open, but may be best to check with the sender by DM first

Think it might be prudent to feedback on a group PM, that way we’re keeping it local to those actually sampling the products and not bothering the wider community with stuff they not able to participate in 👍

Sorry guys the punk is gone. I hope to make some more later in the year.

So far I had @NPi 's Plum Porter which isn't as bad as he presented it.
Also tried Chavallier Best Bitter and Sandbach Nevada. I don't know whose beers they were but both were really good.
Well done.

I haven’t sampled any of your kindly donated beers yet (just letting them settle after transport) but I’ve opened one my choc orange stouts following further conditioning and it’s not bad at all. Aroma of a stout, for my palate not too sweet, right amount of bitterness, can taste the alcohol, nice mouthfeel, faint aftertaste of the cocoa nibs and orange peel. My only complaint is that the head doesn’t seem to want to linger but I’d definitely make it again and hope those of you who have received some enjoy it too :beer1:

7A841831-B5FA-4B79-82CF-D747C01EF9BA.jpeg

I haven’t sampled any of your kindly donated beers yet (just letting them settle after transport) but I’ve opened one my choc orange stouts following further conditioning and it’s not bad at all. Aroma of a stout, for my palate not too sweet, right amount of bitterness, nice mouthfeel, faint aftertaste of the cocoa nibs and orange peel. My only complaint is that the head doesn’t seem to want to linger but I’d definitely make it again :beer1:

@DavidB I knew I had tagged you in the original post! You only have yourself to blame for missing out on the terrible Plum Porter 😉

@Falco I had your 3 beers the other night but didn't make the robust notes they deserved (part fault of the beers, part mine!), your Xmas ale was amazing. The chocolate stout and Tribute were equally good

@Falco I had your 3 beers the other night but didn't make the robust notes they deserved (part fault of the beers, part mine!), your Xmas ale was amazing. The chocolate stout and Tribute were equally good

Thanks mate, wasn’t too enamoured with the Hughes Xmas ale, it was ok but I think I over did it with the Star Anise 😐 although I’ve only got one bottle left!

Well chuffed with the choc orange stout though even though it was a cobbled together recipe 👍

Hi All,
I'm considering buying some hop plants to grow in my garden, so I was wondering if anybody else may be interested? If so we can order together and save a bit on the delivery cost.

Hi All,
I'm considering buying some hop plants to grow in my garden, so I was wondering if anybody else may be interested? If so we can order together and save a bit on the delivery cost.
Yes - good idea

I received a fuggle hop plant root for Christmas which is now planted. Would be up for buying some different varieties of hop plants - lots of room in my garden

Also - have you seen this that DavidB is organising

Calendar[2830] - Copy.jpg

You're welcome to join in if you wish

Back