South Cheshire Ingredients Buying Club

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi

I live in Sandbach and have come across Staffordshire Breweries Malt, Yeast & Finings - Staffordshire Brewery

We can buy crushed malt and S - 04 yeast there cheaply but in big quantities at quite a saving

chopps' table illustrates this

https://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/attachments/34441/

Trouble is you have to buy 25kg bags - now that's OK for Pale but for other malts it is too much for me to use before it might spoil

However, if we collaborated in buying we could buy our malt cheaper and split between us those malts that we use less of. The more bags you buy the less their handing charge. Potentially though we could buy Muntons Pale at 64p per kg if we bought 20+ bags

Yeast - they only seem to do S - 04 - you can buy in 500g packs - but if we split it and vacuum sealed them in small bags - a 11.5 g sachet would cost about 78p

Their delivery charge is £50 per one location drop so it would be probably best if a couple of us went to collect (Cheddleton near Leek) and brought the ingredients back to one central location - I would be happy if that were my house

The question at this stage is - might you be interested in a buying club, if so which malts might you be interested in and would the yeast be of interest?

I am sending this message out to about 20 home brewers in South Cheshire but please forward to any else you think might be interested

Once I have an idea what level of interest there is we would have to agree things like how the money would work because the brewery would only want to deal with one purchaser, so any ideas you many have on this would be most welcome

I discussed this with OB earlier in conversation, and I think it's a great idea.

I'm definitely interested in a malt group buy, maybe less interested in the yeast - and can help to get it all back to the Sandbach area.

The sweet spot for price is for 20 bags. They don't all have to be the same malt. 20 might be a stretch unless there's enough interest.
Even at 6-19 bags, it's still a good deal but a fraction more expensive.

25kg of Muntons Pale Planet for under £16 quid, and 25kg of Maris Otter for £19.... it would be rude not to.
I'd be happy to spend 40 or 50 quid to have enough malt for the whole winter and a bit of spring.

Count me in. We can build an order in this conversation?
I can pay someone by PayPal, bank transfer, bitcoin, cash whatever. No problem.

I'm good for supplies, thanks. I get my base malt from Staffordshire Brewery all the time.

The bottles are worth looking at if you need them, also pretty cheap.

I recently ran out of base malts, so count me in. However, due to limited storage space I can only take small amounts. I would like about 10 kg Lager malt, 10 to 15kg of Pale / MO and about 1 kg of Chocolate. Regarding the yeast maybe up to 30 grams.
It's only about 30 min away from where I live, so I can volunteer to collect but have no space to store/repackage.

I also regularly get my base malt from Staffs Brewery ... my "usual" order is 1x25kg of Maris Otter and 1x25kg of Lager Malt, even with the £5 per sack small-order "handling charge" it still ends up much cheaper than you can get elsewhere, and then I'll put together an online order for other ingredients and supplies from elsewhere ... TBH, I quite enjoy having a couple of hours skive-off to drive across there to pick it up, a while back I even managed to blag an impromptu brewery tour from the owner ... so, even if the group-buy doesn't come off, I'd recommend others using them athumb..

Meanwhile, I'm also good for supplies, at least until the New Year ... but come Feb/March I may well be about ready to order a couple of sacks from a group buy if it's still in the planning stages athumb..

Cheers, PhilB

Hello @Obadiah Boondoggle, thanks for the PM earlier.

Yes probably would be interested in this however I'm just about to start my first AG brew and at this stage, apart from base malts, it's a bit difficult to quantify what my malt needs might be.

Also I'm thinking I'd like to crush my own malt at some point so as not to have too much stock of pre-crushed, but that's for the future............

So in principal count me in please.

Looks a great buy and idea if a few get on board...it would probably be worth my while getting a couple of sacks even coming from Wrexham...but not at the moment under the current junta...

Yeah I would be up for getting involved for base malt, would take a 25Kg bag of MO and Lager malt

that would probably do me for the year!

Cheers

We are planning to actually buy and collect middle of next week

The exact price depends on the number of bags - currently we will be buying between 6 and 20 25kg bags

So will message you before collection with a definite price to confirm
Hello @Obadiah Boondoggle, thanks for the PM earlier.

Yes probably would be interested in this however I'm just about to start my first AG brew and at this stage, apart from base malts, it's a bit difficult to quantify what my malt needs might be.

Also I'm thinking I'd like to crush my own malt at some point so as not to have too much stock of pre-crushed, but that's for the future............

So in principal count me in please.
We are planning to make our first purchase middle of next week. Some people don't need a 25kg bag bit we are looking to buy some and split them. So if you want to let us know we can see if we can make up a 25Kg order by people sharing a bag

Looks like the group currently is into the 6-19 sacks range (>215 kilos so far) , if there are a few more willing participants we can perhaps get to the 20 sacks and take advantage of the no-surcharge price break.

1603446558718.png

edit : I have included the VAT

Obviously some of the more common malts can be used up in a reasonable time if you want a 25kg bag

Others would take too long to use up

However, we would like to see if we can create enough interest to buy a 25kg bag and share it

These are the malts where there is currently interest in part of a bag and how much is needed to enable the purchase of a full bag to share (Obviously we have to buy in 25kg bags)

Pale Planet - another 15kg needed
Crystal 150 - another 15kg needed
Chocolate - another 22kg needed
Munich - another 17kg needed

Please let us know if you would like to share one of these bags so we can see if we can make 25kg

If you wish to try and share another malt, again let us know and we can see if we can make this work as well

Latest posts

Back