South Cheshire Ingredients Buying Club

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good news, they are happy to add to their order. Must be full 25kg sacks (but that was the same for North Staffs), they order base malts once a week and specialty malts every two. Comes directly from Muntons, so prices will likely be same as North Staffs. He will confirm shortly as he doesn't know off the top of his head.

Might be worth having a single point of contact, with shopping list and kitty upfront to ease proceedings?
Will PM you my email address

Yes - looking for ideas for how the money will work - I am happy to co-ordinate but happy if someone else want to be in charge of the kitty

I wouldn't go too crazy asking dozens of breweries - you'll just end up making breweries think that homebrewers are just timewasters who cause them work without actually ordering anything, and it ruins it for everyone.

They all buy from a handful of the same suppliers so the prices won't be hugely different, almost certainly less than the cost of the petrol for going to Cheddleton (never mind the time factor). And to be honest, this kind of deal is not just about money - it's about building relationships, which you can benefit from by learning how the pros do things and also in a time when LHBS's are disappearing, a good relationship means that if your smackpack doesn't work or there's weevils in your Munich, the brewery may be able to help you out with some yeast or malt. And obviously they hope you'll buy some beer from them.

Given that homebrewing is hardly an "essential", I'd be embarrassed to be quibbling over pennies when these businesses that contrbute so much to the local scene, are struggling for their livelihoods. I don't think it's an exaggeration to say that 20-30% of breweries in Tier 2+ areas could be gone within a year - Cheshire Brewhouse is already up for sale and it won't be the last.

Last edited:
Yep. If we do go with Staffs I could do with some of their crown caps and a couple their 4 pint carry kegs as well as 25kg of MO.
Ok, my intention was - just before we put an order in, to message everyone who has expressed interest to confirm their order - also with an exact price as we will know how many bags we are ordering (currently it's looking like 9)

Current plan would be to message those interested on Tuesday 27th, to request a confirmation of their order by Wednesday lunch time ish/early afternoon, so that I could put the order in on later that day and pick up on Thursday (one or two of us)

I would pay for the whole order and ask that you would pay the money into my bank account before you pick up or cash on the day. Obviously I can keep some bags here until people are ready to collect

As this is the first time we have done this I am taking some financial risk so I would be interested to hear how people feel about paying say 10% deposit into my bank account before I pay on Thursday - please let me know what you think

I’ve no problem with full upfront or deposit but if some people renege on their order then they’d be mentioned in dispatches on here surely? Are we not to be trusted with our word? ;)

Good news, they are happy to add to their order. Must be full 25kg sacks (but that was the same for North Staffs), they order base malts once a week and specialty malts every two. Comes directly from Muntons, so prices will likely be same as North Staffs. He will confirm shortly as he doesn't know off the top of his head.

Might be worth having a single point of contact, with shopping list and kitty upfront to ease proceedings?
I’ve no problem with full upfront or deposit but if some people renege on their order then they’d be mentioned in dispatches on here surely? Are we not to be trusted with our word? ;)
Just watch those Congleton lot. Dodgy geezers :)

Paid. Rounded up a couple of quid towards the fuel cost as I wasn't sure how that would work.
Let us know if that's OK?

edit: 300 kilos of malt ordered by this little group so far! Any more takers?
Would be great to get to 500kg next time for the price drop. February anyone?

Last edited:
Following on from this thread, @Obadiah Boondoggle and myself have been in contact with Beartown Brewery, who whilst we haven't been able to purchase grain from (yet!), have very kindly suggested they offer one of their own recipes for us all to brew as a bit of a competition. They also suggested a possible prize for the winner.

No details yet on how it would work, but thought I'd put out to see if there was interest before starting a new thread on the competitions page.

Let me know your thoughts. Any requests for recipes?
Thanks, Nick

Back