South Cheshire Ingredients Buying Club

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Following on from this thread, @Obadiah Boondoggle and myself have been in contact with Beartown Brewery, who whilst we haven't been able to purchase grain from (yet!), have very kindly suggested they offer one of their own recipes for us all to brew as a bit of a competition. They also suggested a possible prize for the winner.

No details yet on how it would work, but thought I'd put out to see if there was interest before starting a new thread on the competitions page.

Let me know your thoughts. Any requests for recipes?
Thanks, Nick
Fabulous Idea

Will start a separate thread about it

Thank you all for payment everyone has now put the money into my account or undertook to pay on collection. Really pleased that we have been able to make this work

However, one person known as Obadiah Boondoggle has not arranged payment - do you think we should trust someone with such a trustworthy name?

Following on from this thread, @Obadiah Boondoggle and myself have been in contact with Beartown Brewery, who whilst we haven't been able to purchase grain from (yet!), have very kindly suggested they offer one of their own recipes for us all to brew as a bit of a competition. They also suggested a possible prize for the winner.

No details yet on how it would work, but thought I'd put out to see if there was interest before starting a new thread on the competitions page.

Let me know your thoughts. Any requests for recipes?
Thanks, Nick
While I don't consider myself competition-level experienced, I'd still like to try and brew the recipe and see what come out... So, count me in.

Dear All

Please find attached a copy of the invoice from Staffs Brewery which I have just paid

The good news is that I have assumed that we would pay VAT on the Malts but as a food item it is VAT exempt

So the amounts I have been quoting are 20% higher than the price we have paid

I will do some sums later and let you have a revised figure

Attachments

• Sandbach Home Brewers Invoice.pdf
    5.3 KB · Views: 127
This just gets better and better :)
My apologies... I have to own up to doing the spreadsheet with OB to calculate the totals ... and I added the VAT... sorry.
I still can't quite understand why brewing malt and yeast is non-VAT rated, when it's basically 'potential beer'. Mind you, so is water.

This just gets better and better :)
My apologies... I have to own up to doing the spreadsheet with OB to calculate the totals ... and I added the VAT... sorry.
I still can't quite understand why brewing malt and yeast is non-VAT rated, when it's basically 'potential beer'. Mind you, so is water.
Have you got an ETA for the grain I.e. What day?

With this VAT windfall, is anyone interested in starting a kitty for non base malts? It was a suggestion by @Obadiah Boondoggle, with the details not yet worked out.

Could use part of these refunds as a flout to buy a few sacks that can be drawn down from at cost. Would depend on how comfortable Oba is being pestered by us routinely, which malts we want and how they can be packaged/bagged.

Thoughts?

With this VAT windfall, is anyone interested in starting a kitty for non base malts? It was a suggestion by @Obadiah Boondoggle, with the details not yet worked out.

Could use part of these refunds as a flout to buy a few sacks that can be drawn down from at cost. Would depend on how comfortable Oba is being pestered by us routinely, which malts we want and how they can be packaged/bagged.

Thoughts?
Good idea but some people have paid already whilst others will pay cash on collection. Would seem strange to ask people who have not paid yet to pay more than they need

Open to ideas though

To give you an idea of quantum those who have already paid have paid in total £24.34 more than needed

Interesting on the VAT, I'm assuming the regular suppliers of our malt charge us VAT? :confused.:

Should they be doing so?

Interesting on the VAT, I'm assuming the regular suppliers of our malt charge us VAT? :confused.:

Should they be doing so?
Yes retailers have to because home brew supplies are vatable

Wholesale grain is regarded as food and so is not vatable

I don't know if Staffs Brewery know this and I wasn't going to let them know any difference

Next time we order from them we need to change our name on the invoice in case a VAT inspector spots this

Google it....I'm led to believe it's vat exempt...
It's confusing...it seems if the brewing products have been repackaged into "retail packaging" then vat applies...it's zero rated in the bulk form.
So...if you're supplied in its original sack the malt should be vat free...how many are doing this?

Last edited:
So if we order a sack of malt and it turns up as it was packed by the maltsters it should be vat free...
I've definitely been charged vat on sack of malt..
Does everything off MM come rebagged? I usually order 5x5kg as it's easier to manage so would get vat AND a bagging charge...anyone order 25kg as is?

Latest posts

Back