South Cheshire Ingredients Buying Club

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Welcome Shroppie sounds like your not a Cheshire man and welcome.
Many thanks I look forward to hearing from you,

No I was born half a mile down the road from Old Trafford cricket
ground so that makes me a Stretfordian.
Cheers

OB
With Warrington and Cheshire moving to Tier4 from midnight what the likelihood of a delivery early February? I would have thought low to nil. Such a shame.
CC

Indeed CC

I think that we need to rethink when we might buy based on the unfolding Covid situation. I suspect that it will become more difficult for lot's of others as well. As it is all of Cheshire - that includes us lot in the posh end of Cheshire

We need to change plans

Best wishes

Do I have to PM someone to arrange my order ?
Hi BB

No need to PM at this stage - I have logged your interest and my plan was to PM everyone who had expressed an interest in the next week or so to see what they would like. The original intention then being to actually buy towards the end of January.

However, at the moment I think we need to reconsider the timescale bearing in mind most of us are in Tier 4 and not supposed to leave the house.

I think in order to keep us all safe and abide by the regulations we need to pause until we see a reduction in restrictions

So I will keep everyone posted but at the moment I think it unlikely we will be going ahead at the end of January as originally planned

Best Wishes all

Hi OB this sounds like a great venture to be a part of, I’m in Stockport but can get wherever needed to pick up. I’d be in for a bag of MO and maybe a few other bits, just a couple of questions, how should it be stored when opened and how long before it spoils. Thanks, Pete.

Hi OB this sounds like a great venture to be a part of, I’m in Stockport but can get wherever needed to pick up. I’d be in for a bag of MO and maybe a few other bits, just a couple of questions, how should it be stored when opened and how long before it spoils. Thanks, Pete.
Hi Pete

The last consignment we bought had a best buy date nearly two years away

The key in terms of storage, of course, is not to encourage vermin and so I would suggest air tight containers and regular clean up of any spilled grains

As you know, because of covid not sure when we will be going ahead (hopefully not too long) but I will add your interest to the list and pm you when we have a clear timescale

Stockport! - for a while I was a tour guide at Robbies Brewery

Best Wishes

Hi Pete

The last consignment we bought had a best buy date nearly two years away

The key in terms of storage, of course, is not to encourage vermin and so I would suggest air tight containers and regular clean up of any spilled grains

As you know, because of covid not sure when we will be going ahead (hopefully not too long) but I will add your interest to the list and pm you when we have a clear timescale

Stockport! - for a while I was a tour guide at Robbies Brewery

Best Wishes
Thanks OB, fully understand about the covid situation, I’m in no rush, just honing the process with kits at the moment. Robbies eh, my brew buddy went on the tour last yr he says he’s taking me when we’re allowed out into the big world again.

Hi

I live in Sandbach and have come across Staffordshire Breweries Malt, Yeast & Finings - Staffordshire Brewery

We can buy crushed malt and S - 04 yeast there cheaply but in big quantities at quite a saving

chopps' table illustrates this

https://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/attachments/34441/

Trouble is you have to buy 25kg bags - now that's OK for Pale but for other malts it is too much for me to use before it might spoil

However, if we collaborated in buying we could buy our malt cheaper and split between us those malts that we use less of. The more bags you buy the less their handing charge. Potentially though we could buy Muntons Pale at 64p per kg if we bought 20+ bags

Yeast - they only seem to do S - 04 - you can buy in 500g packs - but if we split it and vacuum sealed them in small bags - a 11.5 g sachet would cost about 78p

Their delivery charge is £50 per one location drop so it would be probably best if a couple of us went to collect (Cheddleton near Leek) and brought the ingredients back to one central location - I would be happy if that were my house

The question at this stage is - might you be interested in a buying club, if so which malts might you be interested in and would the yeast be of interest?

I am sending this message out to about 20 home brewers in South Cheshire but please forward to any else you think might be interested

Once I have an idea what level of interest there is we would have to agree things like how the money would work because the brewery would only want to deal with one purchaser, so any ideas you many have on this would be most welcome
If you need someone to take 2 or 3 kg each of goldings, Bramling x, northern brewer and challenger hops please let me know!

Back