South East Queensland Brew Day

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Water situation isn't too bad here at the moment with Sydney and Brisbane relaxing water restrictions and a few years supply of water building up in the dams after huge autumn rains, but the question of Hot Side Aeration is also a bit of an Urban Myth here as well. However I suppose I should really get a silicone hose as an insurance policy, but up to now haven't had any problems. Brewing all grain in the 1970s in the UK with my first generation Bruheat boiler, kit like counter flow chillers were science fiction in those days and I just 'no chilled' in the fermenter and pitched the next afternoon and made some nice beers.

As I pointed out in my mini-essay the point of no-chilling is to 'decouple' the brewing of the wort from the need to pitch as soon as possible. For example I brewed a Camerons Strongarm wannabee two days ago. It's sitting sweetly in the cube. As an experiment I'm going to do an identical brew tomorrow and cube it as well. The difference between the brews is that one is a 90 min. hop addition of Challenger, the second one will be a 60 min addition of Challenger, as test brews to settle a current debate on the Aussie Home Brewer forum about 90 minute hop additons.

I'll pitch them both simultaneously with the same yeast and do a taste-off in a few weeks. No chilling provides the flexibility to do that sort of thing.

Nothing against counter flow chillers as such ;)

More than one way to skin a cat :D

Latest posts

Back