Southern gold digger

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nige

Regular.
Reaction score
This is a beerworks kit, anyone done this. I have swapped the yeast for a mangrove jack's bohemian lager yeast, it comes with perle hops but I have some saaz also in the house. I can't find much on this kit?

I'll just knock it up anyway and see how it goes, looks decent.

Done this today but I hydrated about half a pack of s 23 saflager then pitched half of mangrove jack's bohemian lager yeast, I had to add a few ounces of brewing sugar just to bring to og 1043 so I get a 5.5 ish lager. See how this goes. It's a tad under 23ltrs to allow for priming. I pitched at 20c and will ferment at 16 - 18.
Hope its as good as coopers lagers.

Last edited:
Slowly Chugging away steady when I got home today it was 18c which is the warmest it gets in that room when sun is at the back later in the evening. So alls well to leave there for a couple of weeks.

What do the instructions say to do with the hops? Dry hop? I do like a bit of Saaz, you can't go wrong with Saaz. Never tried Perle though.

Yes instructions are bad so just followed my nose and the needs of my yeasts. preferred to add a small amount of dextrose just to make sure it's 5.5 ish. I've not used perle so will only go with half with saaz in hop sock mabe a small saaz hop tea but I don't want to overkill the drink. I've not tried this so see how it goes. I won't touch it or open lid until I'm pretty sure it is done. I'll give it 14days before I even think about looking at it.

Well I've waited 3 weeks and this about is 1020 on hydrometer, very fizzy so still active but this is a slow performance, it tasted nice. I think the lid had some how broken its own seal as water was level in airlock, so I'll just leave it another week I suppose.

OK so had perle hops in for 3 days and fg 1006, syphon sock played avoc turning the syphon into a fizzy drinks dispenser. This is very hoppy and only added 3/4 of the hop pellets. Took a while this brew. Hope its OK, I did add a tad more priming sugar than the 150g supplied.

Well I haven't used the yeast with the kit an swapped it for lager yeast and fermented at lower temp, it comes with premium amount of malt, it's been a slow event so far, I did add some brewing sugar to attain 5.5 ish and only used 3/4 of hops however it tasted very hoppy as I bottled although not too bitter . I can't comment yet but it was pretty good and clearish before the hop audition. I can only let it carb up and see now but I'll post my findings. Thanks tho did you follow the vague instructions?

Back