Sparkling ginger and blackcurrent Ale/wine

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clint Eastwood

Reaction score
Hi guys I love to experiment ( Don't laugh) I had a load of stuff knocking around in my brew cupboard and I have just made a really good ginger Ale/wine.
It costs a little more than the usual but is well worth it especially if you like "Idris old Jamaica ginger beer" this stuff tastes as spicy but has a much more grown up flavour and good alcohol content with nice mouth feel . You can taste the hint of blackcurrant. Spicy with a slight sweet wine undertone.
It's so good I shocked myself. :grin:

Ingredients: Makes 23 litres.
750g of fresh ginger peeled and finely sliced with a vegetable peeler. (Yes slice it with the veg peeler)
5 tsp of powdered ground ginger.
1kg of Muntons homebrew enhancer.
1kg of brewing sugar.
300g of lactose.
1/2 bottle of Asda concentrated lemon juice.
1 bottle of Wilko 100% Red Grape Concentrate 220g.
1 cup of strong "2 teabag" green tea 20 minute brew.
3 tsp of yeast nutrient.
1 litre bottle of Ribina concentrated blackcurrant juice.
Two 100ml Bottles Riddle's Ginger Compound Extra Hot
Canderel sweetener
2 sachets of Muntons gold dried yeast.

Method:
Boil up two gallons of water add 5 tsp's of ground ginger powder.
Peel fresh ginger and use veg peeler to cut ginger into fine slices add to brew pan.
Make a two green tea bag strong cup of tea stew for 20 minutes and add to brew pan.
Add 300g of lactose, 1/2 bottle of Asda concentrated lemon juice and bottle of Wilko 100% Red Grape Concentrate.
finally add 1 750ml bottle of Ribena concentrated blackcurrant juice.
Add yeast nutrient.
Bring back to boil and simmer for 1 and a 1/2 hour.
Meanwhile boil a kettle of water and add Homebrew enhancer and brewing sugar to FV.
Pour kettle into FV and stir well until sugars/malt are dissolved into boiling water.
Add contents of brew pan passing though a sieve to FV and top up to 23 litres with cold water/ice etc.
allow to cool to below 20C and pitch sachets of Muntons gold dried yeast.
FG 1007 Not sure what the OG was but didn't bother due to Lactose. Maybe someone will be able to work out the abv.
Once in bottling bucket add Riddle's Ginger Compound Extra Hot @ Two 100ml Bottles
Sweeten with 3 level tsp of Canderel per litre or other powdered sweetener. Stir in well.
Bottle with your usual priming rate. Then go and re-mortgage the house. :whistle:

piddledribble said:
bet that tastes......er gingery.... :D

Good one tony.
It takes the back of your throat the same as Idris by the look of my wife after two 330ml bottles I think it may be a winner.

Back