Sparkling

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joe Fox

Reaction score
Made a few WOW’s that ended a bit fizzy cus I didn’t degass enough so decided to try making a sparkling Rose. Easiest recipe I found was to make as normal but don’t stabilise and then add teaspoon of sugar to the bottle once bottled. Made 6 bottles. Tried one yesterday and it didn’t work. No bubbles and too sweet. I have now added a little yeast and 1/2 teaspoon more of sugar but I suspect the wine is too strong and is killing the yeast. There is now sediment I n the bottom of the bottle but I am giving it a few more days. Not optimistic

Make sure you are using bottles that can withstand pressure.

Did you clear the wine/add sulphites?

I have found that even without sulphites if the wine has been cleared then there isn't enough yeast left to reliably get it going again in the bottle.

I think when they make Champagne there is a method for rehydrating the yeast and getting it going before adding to the bottle.

If you wait until it is partially clear and still a little cloudy with yeast then siphon into bottles with priming sugar then this seems to work well...

I'd love to hear others experiences of adding priming sugar to cleared wine to see if anybody else has had success

Successfully made sparkling wine from Cellar 7 peach and mango. Was cloudy but cleared well. Problem was when opened the fizz pulled all the sediment up and it goes very cloudy again. Still tastes good though. Next time going to leave in demijohn to clear naturally then bottle and add sugar. Used the Grolsche style bottles

Latest posts

Back