Spelt v Wheat Malt

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

An Ankoù

Landlord.
Reaction score
There's nothing better when it's 30+ outside than a gallon or two of wheat beer (Erdinger style). I've got a pile of spelt malt which I’ve been meaning to try out for a while now. Thinking of substituting my entire wheat bill with spelt ie 60 of the mash.
has anybody used this in a wheat beer? If so, how did it turn out?
Thanks

Knocked up a batch today: 40% MO and 60% spelt malt plus the usual small additives.
Never seen anything like it: 60 min boil plus 15 mins for the copper finings. The boil became clear within 15 minutes and the trub particulates became bigger and bigger. When I chucked in the protofloc the thing started to look like a minestrone. Filtered as usual through muslin and found lumps as big as peas.
Needless to say the OG was well bellow target; had allowed a bit of leeway to get 1050, but would have got 1046 if I'd "liquored back" (hate that expresion) to planned length so decided to settle for 1048.2.
What a whole load of protein this stuff must pack. Can't wait to taste it.

I’ve found in all the spelt beers that I’ve done that the grain is very dominant. It has a certain earthy grainy character that even shines through a massively hopped beer.

I’ve taken my spelt back to around the 250-350g in a 5.5kg grist so as to give it that spelt character without it being over powering. I think I still have a spelt hazy ipa on keg if you want to try it out for a swap?

I think I still have a spelt hazy ipa on keg if you want to try it out for a swap?
That's very kind of you, Hoddy, but postage from France is prohibitive. Last time I wanted to enter a single bottle in a competition it would have cost me just over 15 euros. Anyway, this is 3lb in a 5¾lb grist for a 2½ gallon batch, hopped at 15 BUs as it's a German style wheat beer. If it turns out ok, and if I've got anybody coming over, I'll get a bottle to you.

Latest posts

Back