Spent grain, compost bin and mice

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

man_beach

Reaction score
I've always put my spent grain in the compost bin. This was fine at my old house - the bin was at the bottom of the garden, 50 yards from the house.
I've now moved and got one of those round, plastic bins which is quite close to the house - and I've got mice activity around it. They might even be nesting in it, for all I know. I assume that the mice are going for the grain, but what do I do? We get a weekly food bin collection but I can't really put 5kg or so of wet grain in it, can I?
Any suggestions please?

I've always put my spent grain in the compost bin. This was fine at my old house - the bin was at the bottom of the garden, 50 yards from the house.
I've now moved and got one of those round, plastic bins which is quite close to the house - and I've got mice activity around it. They might even be nesting in it, for all I know. I assume that the mice are going for the grain, but what do I do? We get a weekly food bin collection but I can't really put 5kg or so of wet grain in it, can I?
Any suggestions please?
Put an ad on your local Facebook page and see if anybody wants it for their chickens.

Nuke_d3c65a_638430.jpg

yep, greedy little **** sry for derailing the thread guys.
But trust us you will never have any unwanted 4 legged animals come in the garden with a terrier.

Put an ad on your local Facebook page and see if anybody wants it for their chickens.
I always used to just dump mine until I saw a thread on here saying they were good for Chickens. I now stick a note on the local community FB page whenever I have them and have a queue of people happy to collect in return for half a dozen eggs.

They will be meeting up in it if it is dry and warm. In my old house I had a plastic composter and had nesting mice. Just used to through them into the field. In the new house I have a proper composting system and no mice ,grain goes to the chickens now

Wild birds don't seem interested in the grain, mine goes to my neighbours chickens in return for access to her village spring water (my supply is metered on Severn Trent) some of which I return to her as beer

I always used to just dump mine until I saw a thread on here saying they were good for Chickens. I now stick a note on the local community FB page whenever I have them and have a queue of people happy to collect in return for half a dozen eggs.

Eggsactly this. Super easy to find a chicken owner, and if they’re nice you will get some œufs in return.

We have a bokashi bin, it uses a bacteria inoculated bran to break down food (including meat, bread etc) really quickly. My local council offers a discount through the council website too. There's not much left after the bokashi has had a go at it for a month or so.

That said I'm not sure how it would cope with 5kg of grain a week. Although I recently learnt of making your own bokashi bran from spent grain...

I had rats getting in the compost earlier this year, so dug the whole lot out and put a chicken wire base on both our plastic compost bins. It won't stop a determined mouse but certainly keeps the rats out.

You could always try hotbin composting, they're closed units, so no way in for the rodents. Supposed to be faster too.

Latest posts

Back