Spent Grains & Hops

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, grain is green. You need browns, such as cardboard, paper or wood shavings to keep a balance. With too much green the compost goes to a putrid and moist mass.

We used to have a guinea pig and the shavings from his cage and droppings helped make superb compost once rotted down. Things like guinea pig droppings and chicken poop can be classed as a compost accelerator, the worms and bugs go nuts on it making compost in double quick time.

Coffee grains are allegedly good in compost heaps too, and make something in there get to work pretty quickly.

I have dried a full large roasting pan
This. A couple of roasting pans or baking trays of spent hops slowly dried in the oven at 50 degrees or left in the sun gives you some protein rich grains and fibre to bake into a loaf. Used at 10% weight of flour, I've just tried this for the first time today. Dunno what it tastes like yet as it's just come out of the oven 😉

rps20200423_230320.jpg

We use a bokashi bin (bran innoculated with a bacteria that eats through waste). You can put meat, bones, fish, pizza, basically any food waste you have in there and the bokashi munches through it. Empty it on the compost when it's done and it accelerates the rest of the waste too.

You can make bokashi bran from spent grains but I've not tried that yet.

Back