spice grinder for curry

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got a Cuisinart grinder nearly 10 years ago and it’s not missed a beat.

Big weighty motor and comes with two steel grinding bowls.

It doesn’t look like they’ve changed the design in 10 years either, so if you don’t want to stretch to a Waring then I think this is the best alternative at a third of the price.

I got a Cuisinart grinder nearly 10 years ago and it’s not missed a beat.

Big weighty motor and comes with two steel grinding bowls.

It doesn’t look like they’ve changed the design in 10 years either, so if you don’t want to stretch to a Waring then I think this is the best alternative at a third of the price.
I agree: in truth our 30 year old Moulinex coffee grinder works just as well as the Waring.
Nonetheless the interchangeable re-sealable bowls of the Waring are really convenient and easy to clean.... and it's a lot shinier ;-)

IMG_6979.jpeg
IMG_6980.jpeg

Would a nutribullet work?
You could try it, but it might make your protein shakes taste a bit weird.
A good test for a grinder is to put some rice in it and see if it can grind it to 'flour' (i.e. no gritty bits).
In general when I'm grinding spices for curries it's surprising how long you have to continue grinding to get a really fine powder. Important not to continue too long though because the powder will get warm and then the oil comes out (it goes darker when this happens) and then you lose the aroma.
In fact grinding a bit of rice is also a good way to get some of the spice smell out of the grinder afterwards too.

Back