spice grinder for curry

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
What are people using to grind their hard spices please?
I made a batch of Garam Masala yesterday and used it in a base sauce, but I've just been sieving the sauce this morning because it was a bit gritty which I'm putting down to the spices not being ground fine enough.

I'm currently using a very old Moulinex coffee grinder which I thought was doing a decent job, but when I tasted the Garam Masala it wasn't really all "powder": I think it had bigger bits in it, probably from stuff like cassia bark and coriander husks.

I see in the 'Curry Guy' book he mentions that he uses a 'Waring' grinder - they look good but a bit pricey...

IMG_5814.JPG
IMG_5815.JPG

I made a batch of Garam Masala yesterday and used it in a base sauce, but I've just been sieving the sauce this morning because it was a bit gritty which I'm putting down to the spices not being ground fine enough.

I'm currently using a very old Moulinex coffee grinder which I thought was doing a decent job, but when I tasted the Garam Masala it wasn't really all "powder": I think it had bigger bits in it, probably from stuff like cassia bark and coriander husks.

I see in the 'Curry Guy' book he mentions that he uses a 'Waring' grinder - they look good but a bit pricey...

View attachment 49285 View attachment 49284

That's a design classic. What's causing the poor grind? The blades look fine. I had my mum's all the way through uni. I used it for all sorts of things. From coffee to homemade peanut butter. It even turned sugar into icing sugar in a few seconds. Fabulous grinder, but it never was any good with small quantities - the bowl needed filling almost to the brim. Within a year of returning it, it died and my mum could not find a replacement. It came with a blender too, but I don't think I ever used that.

That's a design classic. What's causing the poor grind?
I think it was down to user error… I probably just wasn’t grinding for long enough.
It’s possibly still lurking at the back of the cupboard but I’m using one of the Waring ones these days - undeniably pricey but very solid, and comes with three twist on/off bowls that go in the dishwasher.

1649958485248.png

Do you still have the Moulinex blender too? By any remote chance the original box? Design classics are always in demand.

No. But if you don't want to just chuck it out, go look on ebay. Depending on condition, up to £60 (though more likely £30-£40). More than you will have paid for it and less landfill.

View attachment 49289
This..alongside a standard mug for size comparison. The mug has my mug all over it in various bouts of acting daft...

Sorry for the old thread bump but where did you get that P+M from, I've been looking for a decent sized heavy weight one and can't find one from the amount of tat online these days.

Sorry for the old thread bump but where did you get that P+M from, I've been looking for a decent sized heavy weight one and can't find one from the amount of tat online these days.

I've got the same one, I think I got it in Lakeland... but it must be a good 10-15 years ago I bought it so memory is a bit hazy !

The James Martin one has 2 blades for grinding and chopping. Ideal for currys IMO

I've got the same one, I think I got it in Lakeland... but it must be a good 10-15 years ago I bought it so memory is a bit hazy !

Think I found it, it's a bit lighter and maybe a bit smaller?: Lakeland Granite Mortar & Pestle

I'm thinking Matalan..but as mentioned mine is many years old.

I think most stuff 10 years ago was better quality, even stuff from Lakeland, Matalan, etc. Seems waaaay more cheap and disposable these days. I've basically become this at 34:

oldman.jpg

View attachment 49285 View attachment 49284

Would a nutribullet work?

Latest posts

Back