Spiced Cider in time for Xmas ?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greengumbo

Reaction score
Hi all - I am more a beer brewer than cider but my old man is coming up for Christmas and doesn't drink beer so thought I would make him a nice spiced cider instead.

I plan on making about a gallon only.

Having read a bit on here, and given my lack of apples / press etc, I should attempt a turbo cider ?

Would it be drinkable by Christmas if I start today ?

4.5 litres apple juice (cheap tesco stuff ?)
yeast nutrient
cup strong tea
yeast (I don't have cider yeast but do have safale 05 and other ale yeasts ?)
Thinking I will add spice tincture later on once racked.

What should I aim for a starting and finishing OG for a medium sweet cider or should I ferment dry then back sweeten later ?

All advice welcome.

if you can use a cider,wine or champagne yeast. i read before that ale yeast can leave unwanted flavours in your cider

yeh, I quite like the one I made, next time I might increase the cinnamon and a few less cloves (clove taste comes through pretty strong !)

I didn't backsweeten though and it's nicely dry I reckon, not too dry though, all down to per.sonal pref obviously

You should have it ready to rock for Christmas easily though. Mine was 12 days from start until bottled 😃 (I don't hang about) haha

Spicy Blackcurrant Cider (Christmas special)

Why not scale down whedat Roddy is doing if you want spiced.
I'm pretty sure you'll have to aim for dry. That's how turbo ciders go.
Then back sweeten with artificial sweetener.
I HEREBY resurrect this post.
Been thinking about a spiced / cinnamon recipe for xmoose.
And i do declare i shall follow the linked recipe this year.

Does the use of an ale yeast really effect the taste badly?.

I used ale yeast in my TC.

FWIW, Yesterday I found a few bottles of Chilli and Ginger cider that I made a few years ago.
Gave the Mrs a taste, and she said "Oooh, that's nice - a lovely warmth from the ginger, then a big smack in the chops from the chilli!"
I fermented the cider as usual, and when finished added some chopped root ginger and a few dried bird chillies for a week or two before bottling.
I would always use a cider (Bayannus strain) yeast with anything involving apples...

I HEREBY resurrect this post.
Been thinking about a spiced / cinnamon recipe for xmoose.
And i do declare i shall follow the linked recipe this year.

Does the use of an ale yeast really effect the taste badly?.

I used ale yeast in my TC.
I think ale yeast will be fine.
I've given up on making cider from supermarket AJ.
But from what I recall the ones I made using ale yeast were far better than the ones I made using cider yeast.
I've always found my cider to be rather bland. Experimented with a few things, but not cinnamon, as I've never fancied it.

I've started using the Mangrove Jack's cider kits. They seem expensive, but....
I did work out at one time that by the time I buy AJ, yeast etc I'm not saving that much.
For a few dollars more I think I get a better product.

Probably going to attempt something similar in a week or two. Got a bottle of caramel coffee syrup (i.e. it's mostly sugar) that whilst unopened is past its sell by date so I'll probably lob that in as well. What could possibly go wrong... 😆

Probably going to attempt something similar in a week or two. Got a bottle of caramel coffee syrup (i.e. it's mostly sugar) that whilst unopened is past its sell by date so I'll probably lob that in as well. What could possibly go wrong... 😆
Now if this was the Christmas Stout thread I could understand that. But cider!

Think I was misunderstood, it's a caramel flavoured sugar syrup that you might add to a cup of coffee instead of sugar (like they do in them frothy coffee shops).

So the cider would have a hint of caramel flavouring (like Brothers Toffee Apple) + spice. Doesn't seem that bad a combination to me.

But yeah, coffee in cider 🤢

😂

Think I was misunderstood, it's a caramel flavoured sugar syrup that you might add to a cup of coffee instead of sugar (like they do in them frothy coffee shops).

So the cider would have a hint of caramel flavouring (like Brothers Toffee Apple) + spice. Doesn't seem that bad a combination to me.

But yeah, coffee in cider 🤢

😂
I spect the pumpkin spice one would be quite nice. Or the gingerbread one, similar I guess.

oh or the almond one! That’s like marzipan. Oooohh...

there was a christmas spiced cider thread on here 3-4 years ago, called "festive cheer" or something. I did that recipie, was pretty good. And will easily be ready for christmas if you use yeast and bottle after 3 weeks.

I just freestyled a tc this morning with 200g extra sugar and cinnamon sticks from the middle east. 😉

Attachments

• 20201102_121156.jpg
    20201102_121156.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 120
Thread resurrection time... 😁

Bought some AJ today and I'm actually going to make spiced cider for Christmas this year. I intend to use cinnamon sticks, cloves and allspice as per Roddy's recipe. Daft question, after steeping the spices in some warm AJ do you lob the whole lot in the fermenter or strain off the spices just adding the spiced juice?

Hi all - I am more a beer brewer than cider but my old man is coming up for Christmas and doesn't drink beer so thought I would make him a nice spiced cider instead.

I plan on making about a gallon only.

Having read a bit on here, and given my lack of apples / press etc, I should attempt a turbo cider ?

Would it be drinkable by Christmas if I start today ?

4.5 litres apple juice (cheap tesco stuff ?)
yeast nutrient
cup strong tea
yeast (I don't have cider yeast but do have safale 05 and other ale yeasts ?)
Thinking I will add spice tincture later on once racked.

What should I aim for a starting and finishing OG for a medium sweet cider or should I ferment dry then back sweeten later ?

All advice welcome.
Just in case it doesn't work out, I'd be inclined to get some of this:
https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/2513257966 bottles, and some mulling spices, they used to sell them in Sainsburys. Look for a recipe for mulled cider and use less rather than more spices. It's important not to overheat the cider about 65C is max.

If your dad doesn't like it, he'll certainly like the cider sstraight as it is, it's gorgeous stuff.

Latest posts

Back