Spiced Metheglin

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rasp_Brewer

Reaction score
Hi all,

this is my first post I’m new to this site and hoping to use it as a way to connect with others who enjoy the craft of home brewing to learn and grow.

Today I started a spiced metheglin which I saw on city steading. This is my first time making a metheglin but not my first time making a mead (although I still am relatively new to this craft) I did slightly adjust the recipe to achieve a SG of 1.102 the highest SG I have done at this point I’m hoping for this to be on the sweet side. I used youngs wine yeast which I’ve stored in the freezer once opened as I’ve heard this makes it last longer. I’m aiming to age this until this time next year as the spices I used are sort of autum / Christmas that being dried all spice berries, cinnamon stick and whole cloves and like CS I used orange blossom honey found recently at Asda with raisins, orange zest and black tea for the tannins.

I will update this thread with its progress for those who may be interested anyway if you’ve made it this far thanks for reading.

This is how it looks as of starting it putting it out of the light in a quiet corner to ferment
4EE52786-F9F4-4188-B84A-B14C9A0C8E22.jpeg

Update: fermentation is active seeing activity inside the brew as well as the airlock was kind of worried it would take a while to start up based on the supposed antibiotic properties of the spices

Just a little update I plan on racking this on the 16th as that’ll mark 4 weeks since I started this. I plan on taking a reading first to get a measure on whether this is done or not but I’d like to get it off the spices either way if there’s a lot of sugar left in I’ll shake this up with the airlock on to transfer the yeast colony into the new vessel to continue fermentation whilst removing the spices.

Took a reading today showed this to be at 1.062 still a while to go yet so I swirled up the yeast colony from the bottom and racked to another dj to remove the spices also added a bit of nutrient as I didn’t see the harm just something to help the yeast along I’ll post another update when I next check this will likely be a couple weeks though

How's the Metheglin coming along?
Had a rough start to the year had to focus on life so kinda had to leave some of my brews to sit for a while going to have a look at the metheglin this weekend looking it now it’s settled a lot but still very cloudy I’ll update when I’ve had chance to look at it properly pretty excited for this one

Latest posts

Back