Split Batch - Lager and IPA

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Braufather

Landlord.
Reaction score
Split Batch/ Lager/IPA

Have two 9 litres cornies to fill for Xmas and thought it would be interesting to split a batch between a lager (first time) and an IPA.

Any suggestions for a Malt Bill? I am thinking either pilsner with a dash of Munich as a foundation for a German lager and a tropical IPA. I would liquor back on the lager wort to ease the SG on that. Or maybe go for mainly Vienna for a Vienna lager and Vienna IPA?

Hopping would be the biggest challenge and I would aim for most to be late additions after the batches are split, but for the initial bittering charge what would the best hop would be?

Id be interested to know if anyone has done this and how they got on, as well as any malt and hop suggestions.

I think bittering will be your biggest challenge as an IPA is much more bitter than a lager unless you try to get your bittering from massive late hop additions like a NEIPA.

Thats how I would do it late additions especially in the IPA + dry hop

yes, that's the plan, 95% at end after batches have been split but which hop for initial bittering charge?

My two penneth:

85% pilsner
10% torrified wheat
5% light munich (20 EBC)

Magnum at 60 minutes - suitable for both styles

Saaz or Mittelfruh late for the lager depending on Czech or German style.

A more aggressive combo of C hops for the IPA. eg. All of Citra/Chinook/Cascade at 10, 5 and 0 minutes. It won't take much to get those IBUs up.

Cheers, magnum could be a good call. with all the late hopping will go for something Juicy IPA wise, probably similar to what you suggest there. the malt bill looks solid too.

Latest posts

Back