Split from Scotland?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
bobsbeer said:
Perhaps we might get a better deal. We just need to move the wall a bit further south. Think of all the jobs that would create :D :D

And who would pay for that england or your new bezzy mates.

Let's face it its not going to happen unless someone invests in Scotland Plc, perhaps the Chinese or the Russians or perhaps america will make them the 51st state.

I think it's all a smokescreen to ditract us from the bo**ocks the MP's of all parties are up to. They should remove all tax from real ale. Oh and petrol. :D

Now I'm technically a "white settler" in Scotland....and my kids tell me they are Scottish (how did that happen :wha: ). Anyway, here's my take...Scotland could become an successful independent country...sorry to tell everyone south of the border (and some Scots who are in denial) that even with some UK debt attached. Basically, they have loads of natural resources... that makes money...while the rest of the UK has lots of people and they cost money.

However, Big 'Eck is playing a long game and he'll break up the UK even if he doesn't get a yes vote in any referendum. Basically, there will be a third question on "Devo Max" - the one the ConDemLab don't want to see. This will probably get a yes vote. "Devo Max" will be all matters devolved except Defence and some foreigh policy (UN, NATO, etc).

So what your thinking...well so what :?:
The institutionalised gentlemen's club (of spongers) on the Thames are bricking it - it would make their wee club a bit of an irrelevance as the Scots would be pushing for a "Federal" UK. i.e. A Uk made up of fiscally automous areas/nations e.g Scotland, England (or even greater Lancs, yorks etc), Wales, NI.

Not only that but this "federal state" used to be, not that long ago, a Lib Dems policy. As no one will vote for them again helping to take down the status quo would be an idea. The English would get a parliament and some unionists would keep a union of sorts - also everyone would keep a name as "The kingdom of England and NI" doesn't really have that ring to it :hmm: (Wales is legally part of England so that will p^&s off my fellow welshman :whistle: )

graysalchemy said:
Even if they were given access to the North Sea oil tax revenue, which is nowhere near as much as it was in the 70's and 80's
...depends on the price of oil and it will only ever go up.

Anyway, I thought that this was a brewing forum :drink:

Excellent the Federal State of Mancunia :lol: :lol:

Still don't think it would happen constitutionally who could a minority force such constitutional change surely England would have a vote, and last time labour tried to devolve power to the regions they failed, I don't think the english population even with the north south devide want to see england split up into federal states.

Anyone seen the Ealing Studios film ........ Passport to Pimlico :rofl:

There is a UN convention that covers self determination. If scotland voted for independence and the english said no, or voted no, the UK government would be in breach of an international charter they signed up to.
It'd get very very messy.
In any event, the independence referendum will most likely be a no, they will be lots of bleating about who's losing out financially, and I will still be making my own beer. :drink:

If Scotland does vote yes (I know the Scots on here view this as unlikely), actually moving from a yes vote to independence still seems an almost impossible goal.

Just to take the example of the UK's sovereign debt. Scotland would presumably have to take it's share of this but I can't see an agreement ever being reached on this

The trillion pound debt announced yesaterday is nearly double that when you take into account the bank bailouts RBS and HBOS both Scotish institutions :whistle: :whistle:

Latest posts

Back