Splitting and storing a lager kit

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrissol

Reaction score
I'm after doing one of the lager kits like coopers, but I want to reduce the scale and do it in two 5ltr demis at a time splitting the instructions by4. But do it two batches. Whats best way to store the rest of the kit whilst the first batch going? I have read tun and freeze?
Not got the room for for larger buckets.

How about a two can kit and just split one can between the two demis?

Muntons Continental Lager for example.

Slightly dearer but no mucking about.

@chrissol, make sure you also allow room for krausen growth. Could be an additional maybe 1-2 litres on top of your 5 litres of wort?

FYI, if still choosing the kit, would strongly recommend Festival New Zealand Pilsner which worked really well for me. Believe this kit uses MJ's warmer fermenting 'lager' yeast. So, for a lager brew, it's an uncharacteristically clean and quick fermentation with no need for 'cool temp' lagering nor prolonged conditioning.

And, kit extract comes supplied in two identical pouches, so easy to split. Though only one sachet of yeast. (Split sachet perhaps, and keep leftover in the fridge? Or you could supplement with an additional sachet of MJ branded original).

Think yeast supplied is Mangrove Jack's Craft Series Yeast - Californian Lager M54?

https://mangrovejacks.com/products/californian-lager-m54-yeast-10g

Last edited:
Not used it yet (brew day tomorrow) but I just got a fastferment conical fermenter...looking forward to using it

@chrissol, make sure you also allow room for krausen growth. Could be an additional maybe 1-2 litres on top of your 5 litres of wort?

FYI, if still choosing the kit, would strongly recommend Festival New Zealand Pilsner which worked really well for me. Believe this kit uses MJ's warmer fermenting 'lager' yeast. So, for a lager brew, it's an uncharacteristically clean and quick fermentation with no need for 'cool temp' lagering nor prolonged conditioning.

And, kit extract comes supplied in two identical pouches, so easy to split. Though only one sachet of yeast. (Split sachet perhaps, and keep leftover in the fridge? Or you could supplement with an additional sachet of MJ branded original).

Think yeast supplied is Mangrove Jack's Craft Series Yeast - Californian Lager M54?

https://mangrovejacks.com/products/californian-lager-m54-yeast-10g
Ahhh thats good cheers for this 👍

Was only a matter of time before I bought a bigger one :laugh8::laugh8::laugh8:

Attachments

• 20210408_174144.jpg
    20210408_174144.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 35
Back