Spoiling real ale

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:oops:

:lol:

Yep folk Vossys original idea of a get together at the Crown still stands :D

Lets try and make it happen ;) :D :drink:

Yaey! :drunk:

Wez said:
How about this....

Crown Inn, Stockport - 1st weekend in December - the first THBF Christmas get together?

I'm in the midlands and can car share for folk Darn Sarf :grin:

AT and co - you'll have to swim or something :cheers:

Stockport :!: :!: How about Darlo :clap: on a mainline station :idea:

Wez said:
I think styrians are hard to get hold of, you might like to try a "Townes IPA" which uses Cascades instead if you cant get them :D

Target OG 1.045
96% Pale
4% Wheat Malt
Cascades to ~40IBU full boil
Cascades 40g per 25L steeped post boil for 15 mins at 80c

I've got 100grms. left from time ago when they were ready available, now I beleive they are being sidelined for the big boys.

They'll be about 8 months old in the freezer, thought it was about time they were used, must be past their best before by now.

I think the recipe i've got calls for a total of 90 gramms of 3% if thats correct i'll use them all, allowing for their age, the other 10g's at your suggestion,in at 80c.

jb.

V1, I haven't got Beersmith yet but I will look at it. It seems to be able to do so much. Perhaps i'm missing something.

jb. :( :(

Wez said:
AT and co - you'll have to swim or something :cheers:

Swim? Or something??? If i'd have started swimming a few years back i'd still be a tad late. And i don't think i'd be too thirsty after 3 years in the water. :lol:

I recommend Frings Brauhaus in Whangarei for the meet-then YOU lot can 'swim' or something. :lol: :lol: :lol:

The problem with real ales in most pubs is the over enthusiasm of the customers and landlords. Ale is probably the best thing in the world, there is lots of flavoursome variety. The hypothetical landlord loves ale so wants to showcase as many examples as possible. This raises 2 problems: (1) Too much beer to drink before the casks spoil (2) Having a vast number of ales tapped and being served invariably leads to one beer becoming the favourite of the customers through chatter/reference etc. And one becoming less served because people don't spread the good word. In essence the best pubs have only 2 or 3 ales on tap at any one time and have a regular turn over of all three beers. The sacrifice they make is they can either have variety to celebrate to essence of real the ale industry of keep the same beers on to satisfy the drinkers who favour a single beer. It can't be had both ways. The best kept ale that I have ever had was in a pub which only had one ale on a beer engine. This pub had mostly real ale drinkers but only one ale that changed regularly, each cask probably lasted only a day. The cellar would have had casks ready to go, spiled and tapped.

When I walk into a pub with a row of 3 or more real ales I now think- 'this landlord loves real ale' but am weary of quality and always ask which beer sells the most and which is freshest in order to make my choice... therefore effectively picking from the three best kept/less oxidised.

There's lots of good points here but something i haven't heard mentioned is profit and big corporations. Profit being the bottom line and big corporations being the way to achieve it. Rather than giving customers what they want they tend to create a market for what they make (or are planning to make). Usually that revolves around an image of drink this and you'll look cool/knowledgeable. And usually they are aimed at the younger drinker who is looking for an image, lets face it once you have reached the legal drinking age one of your top priorities is getting some action. Personally i don't think the corporate brewers produce rubbish, its just not very interesting for the most part. The smaller breweries they swallow up keep on doing their stuff but i guess they don't feel too comfortable especially in times like these.

i remember my first swig of beer and i wasn't very impressed, a dash of lemonade soon sorted that out, and some brief time later i was drinking beer without lemonade. It helped that i wanted to drink beer like Dad did of course! (i wonder what will be selling well in 10, 20, or 30 years as a result of generations that have been weaned on alcopops?) Dad drank lager at home but real ales in pubs, my first swig of a real ale was a delight.

i wonder where we would be without CAMRA, enthusiatic microbreweries and the homebrewers of today and tomorrow who may decide to chip in with their craftsmanship and take a huge risk by going commercial.

The problem with real ales in most pubs is the over enthusiasm of the customers and landlords

The Crown would be a pretty good exception to that point, though I think it stands for a lot of pubs.
I have been at the Crown when they have had half the pumps on because they can't keep up with demand. Having been in the cellar they have 13 beers lined up in substitution for those already on tap and they still regularly run out :shock: refusing to tap non ready casks.
The charm of any real ale pub is demand and difference. I for one, would not keep going into the same pub, for the same beer, time after time. I can go to Te**o's for that :sick:

i wonder where we would be without CAMRA

We'd probably have more real ale lovers. If pubs could use cask breathers with C02 they would be able to reach a whole new audience of punters who are presently biased against due to the pubs not being able to shift a cask as quickly as other pubs.

Back