Spontaneous fermentation

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well, my cube of mild has clearly become bored of waiting for a free fermenter and taken matters into its own hands. The cube was more of a sphere when I found it.

I've no idea what it is causing the ferment but it's early days, the wort is still sweet and there are no off flavours at this point.

I could boil it and pitch a proper yeast. Any other ideas please?

Well, my cube of mild has clearly become bored of waiting for a free fermenter and taken matters into its own hands. The cube was more of a sphere when I found it.

I've no idea what it is causing the ferment but it's early days, the wort is still sweet and there are no off flavours at this point.

I could boil it and pitch a proper yeast. Any other ideas please?
Blimey, How long has it been waiting in the cube?
I think I'd be inclined to make sure the cube can vent and let it do its thing. Risky, but what the hell. If it's been infected for a while it's going to taste funny anyway. But I think it's equally likely that it's a residue of old yeast in the cube that's got it ticking over.

Spontaneous fermentation is much the same as parthenogenesis: a cover up for carelessness. Sorry Mary.
That's stage 2 of the process. Probably a leak in the cube. Lid not tightened enough?
Blimey, How long has it been waiting in the cube?
4 weeks. Both fermenters plodding along in a leisurely manner. Won't be rushed.

Latest posts

Back