Spoons.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Limit drinks or no kids

• Pubs should limit drinks

• Parents shouldn't take young kids into pubs

• Parents should be allowed to decide how much they drink.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Chippy_Tea

Administrator.
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
One pub is in the news for putting a sign up saying parents with children are only allowed one drink and two if eating, should pubs limit customers or as some have said should parents not take young kids into pubs.

It's sad that it comes to this. I am not in favour of a nanny state, or this case a nanny corporation, but there are too many fuckwits out there that need nannying in order to protect others.
That pretty much sums up what I think about it all. Trouble is, where does it end?

I recall several years ago on holiday a spoons in Scotland would only allow us to buy 2 drinks as we had the little one with us, So it's been something that's been going on a while. Now whilst I fully support this (though it won't ever stop people going the next pub) it does make me think why is it not a national chain wide policy?.

That pretty much sums up what I think about it all. Trouble is, where does it end?

It's certainly a conundrum. Balancing protecting the vulnerable/stupid against protecting individual liberties is unenviable task.

it does make me think why is it not a national chain wide policy?.

I am not sure where the spoons in the news is it may be the one you were in or they may have brought it in in more pubs. (maybe ones where they regularly have problems with drunk parents with kids)

I am not sure where the spoons in the news is it may be the one you were in or they may have brought it in in more pubs. (maybe ones where they regularly have problems with drunk parents with kids)

Maybe it's down to individual management then who might better judge the demographic of customers?. But I guess they would still have to go via head office to implement such a policy. The spoons by us doesn't have such a policy, but then again it doesn't (that I've noticed) have an issue with over intoxicated parents either. Where our spoons has families eating there always seems to be at least 1 of the adults (probably a driver in most caes) who is consuming soft drinks.

Of cause, there is far more profit in soft drinks, so in some ways would make more sense to have this as a standard national policy.

I remember as a kid on holiday to Devon every year my dad would always plan to stop off at a pub for lunch. He would always go in first and ask if it was ok to bring us in. A number of times it was not ok and was about 50/50.
This would usually be lunchtime.
The number of times we sat in back rooms, outside in bad weather, always a deserted room. It was very rare to be in with other people, and never in the evenings, and a highchair was unheard of.
Now things have swung the other way, and not for the better.
Should parents take their kids with them on a night out? Probably not. Should parents get drunk with their kids? No. Is this the landlords responsibility?No. But they equally have the right not to serve people either so good on 'em.

Another thing I've noticed is that as spoons have started serving food later & later (pretty much till half hour before closing here) so has the cutt off time children are allowed entry till become later & later.

This sums up some of the people in this country. On the continent there are families enjoying themselves in a responsible manner until late late late in very busy bars with no issues. My favourite restaurant in Brittany holds 2 Michelin stars & welcomes families with open arms, can you imagine a similar Michelin starred restaurant in the UK doing this ? NO ! Because a lot of people don't educate their children on how to behave, we have ignorant uneducated oiks having children with no idea of how to behave in a decent & respectful way towards others & the environment they are in at the time. Sorry to rant !aheadbutt

& when you got to a bar or restaurant I see parents not engaging with their children over the dinner table but pushing I pads & other electronic devices in children's faces to shut them up. It should be a shared experience having a drink / eating & bonding with your children in a responsible manner.

This sums up some of the people in this country. On the continent there are families enjoying themselves in a responsible manner until late late late in very busy bars with no issues. My favourite restaurant in Brittany holds 2 Michelin stars & welcomes families with open arms, can you imagine a similar Michelin starred restaurant in the UK doing this ? NO ! Because a lot of people don't educate their children on how to behave, we have ignorant uneducated oiks having children with no idea of how to behave in a decent & respectful way towards others & the environment they are in at the time. Sorry to rant !aheadbutt

Yes, NEVER see the sort of behaviour from families in other countries as we do here in the UK & that's shamefull for us as a nation but more such families who as uneducated adults and mindset have the next generation being even worse. These days there is such a sense of entitlement from this youth generation that's come from nowhere.

Of cause, the ill informed do gooders (and political people who don't care as they have a political agenda) would say "blame the government", "blame the cuts" " blame closure of x, y & z" etc etc. Sorry, I blame bad parenting far above any other reason anyone could give. We owe society to be good citizens not society owes us without question!.

I don't think it should be the responsibility of spoons staff to try to manage how much parents drink but if this becomes an issue in some branches then maybe banning children completely or banning the problem parents on an individual basis could be a solution.

Never liked the idea of kids in a pub. In a beer garden on a sunny day then fine, or if the pub is food-focussed only while the family is eating.

& we wonder why the pub trade is in trouble. Look at the continent & take some leaves out of their books. We have a slight resurgence in pubs at the moment but how long will that last. Trouble is that a lot of the British seem not to be able to drink in moderation. I agree if children are unruly then you can have a convivial atmosphere ruined BUT again that will be down to bad parenting.

Back