Spoons.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Limit drinks or no kids

• Pubs should limit drinks

• Parents shouldn't take young kids into pubs

• Parents should be allowed to decide how much they drink.

Results are only viewable after voting.
On a serious note when my lad was young we had been out for a walk one summer evening and we decided to have a beer on the way home at 9 p.m we were asked politely to leave as no kids were allowed in the bar after 9 p.m. i assume that was a rule for all pubs and it seems sensible.

This sums up some of the people in this country. On the continent there are families enjoying themselves in a responsible manner until late late late in very busy bars with no issues. My favourite restaurant in Brittany holds 2 Michelin stars & welcomes families with open arms, can you imagine a similar Michelin starred restaurant in the UK doing this ? NO ! Because a lot of people don't educate their children on how to behave, we have ignorant uneducated oiks having children with no idea of how to behave in a decent & respectful way towards others & the environment they are in at the time. Sorry to rant !aheadbutt
Your rant is spot on and perfectly justified. We don't do Michelin-starred eateries as we'd rather save our dosh for beer, but we do do lots and lots of crêperies, which always have kids there with their parents. They are well-behaved, I've never seen a naughty kid in a restaurant. Why? because they're used to being taken out from as soon as they can hold a spoon. Yes, they turn into little thugs later on, but kids are relaxed and cool. They have no fear of adults and, as often as not, take the initiative to wish a good afternoon to complete strangers. Quite surprising when, like us, you come from an environment where "stranger danger" is the order of the day.

Last edited:
On a serious note when my lad was young we had been out for a walk one summer evening and we decided to have a beer on the way home at 9 p.m we were asked politely to leave as no kids were allowed in the bar after 9 p.m. i assume that was a rule for all pubs and it seems sensible.

When My kids were young that seemed to be pretty standard rule that 9pm was the time for children to leave they were also not allowed in the bar but only in snugs or lounge rooms. As my children grew older the rule of children only allowed if eating as pubs branched out into food seemed to become the norm but every landlord set their own rules and consistency was hard to come by.

When My kids were young that seemed to be pretty standard rule that 9pm was the time for children to leave they were also not allowed in the bar but only in snugs or lounge rooms. As my children grew older the rule of children only allowed if eating as pubs branched out into food seemed to become the norm but every landlord set their own rules and consistency was hard to come by.

Maybe its time to enforce the old rule in all pubs i think a 9 p.m cut off is fair.

I agree Chippy whether the children are well behaved or not it is not a environment for children as people in after 9pm are usually out for a drink and language and behaviour even if not rowdy can become too adult for children. Responsible parents should realise this, restaurants I would consider slightly different maybe? and I mean not pub so called restaurants but bone fide ones

it is not a environment for children as people in after 9pm are usually out for a drink and language and behaviour even if not rowdy can become too adult for children.

I agree and the flip-side is you and your mates may want a few beers and a heated debate (usually involving football) without having to think about what language you may be using and if you may be scaring young kids.

I agree I wouldn’t take my young daughter to a proper boozer pub at all. But a pub that serves food etc... then the parents good discretion should come into play.

You're actually breaking the law if you're drunk in charge of children under 7 per section 2 of the Licensing Act 1902 :
"If any person is found drunk in any highway or other public place, whether a building or not, or on any licensed premises, while having the charge of a child apparently under the age of seven years, he may be apprehended, and shall, if the child is under that age, be liable on summary conviction to a fine not exceeding forty shillings, or to imprisonment, with or without hard labour, for any period not exceeding one month."

[the fine has been updated, it's now up to £500 <g>]

In this case it's seems to have been an internal Spoons guideline (not hard rule) for some time to interpret that law as parents with kids should be limited to two drinks, but an individual manager has decided to publicise it with a poster in the pub.

This might clarify the situation a little
"The Licensing Act 2003 swept away the vast majority of restrictions on allowing children in pubs. Each pub now has a unique set of conditions on the licence which sets out how the pub operates. Generally speaking, children are allowed to enter a pub unless it has a particular licence condition which says children are not to be permitted.
The exception to this is if the pub is used 'primarily or exclusively' for the supply and consumption of alcohol on the premises. In this case a child under the age of 16 is not permitted on the premises when the pub is open for business unless they are accompanied by someone 18 or over.
A further restriction is that no unaccompanied child under the age of 16 is allowed on any premises licensed for the sale and consumption of alcohol on the premises between the hours of midnight and 5am if it is open for business."
This is taken directly from
https://beerandpub.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/LicenseeGuidance/Children-in-pubs.pdf
When I brought up my children well before 2003 the generally accepted rules seemed to be that as long as a child was with an adult having a meal inside they were OK to be present. Inside for just drinks was not OK. Outside was OK at most times
Go back to when I was a child and kids just weren't admitted. And there was no such thing as a beer garden. Folks went to the pub to drink.
My personal view on this is that it is OK for children to be outside under most circumstances, but inside it's only joining adults for a meal where they are served, not in any other area where its only drinking. And if the children are becoming a pita then the publican or their staff should intervene. And anyone drunk in charge of a child under any circumstances should be shown the door.

Meanwhile in the USA,(big country, depends on the state) there are craft breweries that open up to families to spend the day. I know of one that hosts extremely successful Santa Claus visit days in the run up to Christmas. Another one has climbing frames, sandboxes, and pedal vehicles for kids to enjoying the summer and sledging in the winter. Need to find ways to be profitable and have a draw amongst all the other craft breweries out there (and to get people paying double the price at the brewery instead of their carry outs) and one way is through family friendly environments.

I do think their has to be a practical rethink as far as the pub grade goes. I'm not saying it's the pubs that's are directly responsible in any way (as clearly bad & very bad parenting is the blame). But on the other hand with the way society is these days with regards to poor & bad parenting maybe pubs need to drastically restrict the hours children are allowed in licensed premises (or pubs at least) until society in this country learns to be responsible again. Because from opening to closing, most allow children in from start to quite late, & that's wrong and almost encouraging the patents.

It's like as an adult, don't behave in a pub you get barred. So if deemed to be an irresponsible parent, maybe barr those such parents or as said heavily restrict child friendly hours.

We should make one rule to ban making rules, just had enough there's far too many laws in our country. Especially with fines attached to make money , so We are great at making them everyday but not eradicating any even pre 1900s. Where does it end.

Mostly in holiday,in UK,I've always taken my kids into the pub at generally any time I've fancied,but not late while they were very young.
They're well behaved given pop and their game thingy or iPads and haven't complained whether I have three or four pints...then Mrs Clint turns up and spoils it all!!

I don't think this should be about unrulely children but more about protecting them. There are laws about being drunk in charge of children so all pubs should be responsible for it.

I would never get drunk in front of my kids and rarely have a drink before they go to bed. Unfortunately for a lot of people they act like idiots when they have had a drink, slapping their wife's etc and kids should never witness that.

Yes beating wives should always be done out of view of the kids :confused.:

Latest posts

Back