Sport and dementia.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
He's a pathological liar, even about stuff that is easily disproven. He's a dupe being taken advantage of by the republican party. Even his handlers say there is something wrong with him.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220726-142835.png
    Screenshot_20220726-142835.png
    191.8 KB · Views: 0
I don't know what a "sending off" is. Doesn't sound great. As I've said with engaging in this site (UK), I don't think my Googling everything answers the specifics of what is actually meant.

I don't know what a "sending off" is. Doesn't sound great. As I've said with engaging in this site (UK), I don't think my Googling everything answers the specifics of what is actually meant.
If you get a red card in soccer that means you are sent off for the duration of the game. Rugby has a sin bin, (same as ice hockey) for a designated time, if a player is sent off in rugby he can be replaced after a lapse of 20 minutes. Aussie rules doesn't have a send off, rule no matter how bad the offence. They get dealt with by a tribunal and may miss 1 or more games depending on the severity of the offence.

A Sending Off (Red Card) would be called an ejection in American football.
(My favourite in recent years was Myles Garrett ripping off Mason Rudolph's helmet and hitting him with it)

A Sending Off (Red Card) would be called an ejection in American football.
(My favourite in recent years was Myles Garrett ripping off Mason Rudolph's helmet and hitting him with it)
I've paid some attention as I went to a number of soccer (football) games though they were for our ward, female, in high school. So nothing professional. However, it was the perfect pace for me to watch and learn some of the basics.
That comparison is totally accurate. Nowadays, a helmet-to-helmet hit can get you gone. I like the spirit of the rule but sometimes you see that it wasn't intentional but the player still gets ejected.

I've paid some attention as I went to a number of soccer (football) games though they were for our ward, female, in high school. So nothing professional. However, it was the perfect pace for me to watch and learn some of the basics.
That comparison is totally accurate. Nowadays, a helmet-to-helmet hit can get you gone. I like the spirit of the rule but sometimes you see that it wasn't intentional but the player still gets ejected.
That was not an accidental helmet to helmet hit. Garrett literally pulled Rudolph's helmet of his head and hit him with his own life.
Brown Steelers a couple of years ago

What hasnt helped Rugby is that players have been knocked out and then got up and carried on playing, or been knocked out / concussed and returened to play far too early, they are trying to combat this now by having protocols for players returning to play during a game (head injury assessment) and returning to play with a lay off period. How much affect this has will take a long time to come through as it has only been the last few years it has been implemented.

I remember a game I think maybe 2015 George north was knocked out twice in one game and the Welsh team let him carry on!

What i would say is that any possible head trauma caused by playing rugby (either code), American football, soccer, even, is surely peanuts compared to boxing, where the whole object is to inflict damage on the head.

Which is why I don't see the logic of rugby fans who rail at the slightest contact with the head in a tackle as being so dangerous, yet are usually big boxing fans too!

What hasnt helped Rugby is that players have been knocked out and then got up and carried on playing, or been knocked out / concussed and returened to play far too early, they are trying to combat this now by having protocols for players returning to play during a game (head injury assessment) and returning to play with a lay off period. How much affect this has will take a long time to come through as it has only been the last few years it has been implemented.

I remember a game I think maybe 2015 George north was knocked out twice in one game and the Welsh team let him carry on!

Yes, that was bad, but that kind of thing doesn't happen any more. Well, not at pro level, anyway. In the 'grass-roots' game, who knows?

Which is why I don't see the logic of rugby fans who rail at the slightest contact with the head in a tackle as being so dangerous, yet are usually big boxing fans too!

I am not sure where you get the idea that rugby fans that don't like head tackles are usually boxing fans even if that were true there is a bit of a difference between two trained fighters wearing boxing gloves being closely watched by a referee and medics and a huge rugby player taking another out by hitting him full tilt in the head, i am not surprised fans go mad when it happens.

Yeah, I agree, boxing is violent along with that offshoot in the cages. I want people to have fun, engage in sports and all but might as well bring out a game called "Billy Clubbing" where you just go after the opponent with a short heavy stick.

In Olympic boxing (decades ago when I watched), I thought it was at least a little better with the head gear and the points scored for contacting the white tip of the glove.

That was not an accidental helmet to helmet hit. Garrett literally pulled Rudolph's helmet of his head and hit him with his own life.
Brown Steelers a couple of years ago
I wasn't referring to that particular incident. As far as I'm concerned that incident would be at least a one-year suspension with an option for longer if not permanent suspension.

In general, in the NFL, penalizing the dangerous hits has been beneficial and accurate though occasionally a player gets busted for a head-to-head where he was trying to stop but forward motion carried him plus the player receiving the blow obviously wasn't damaged by the hit. I think a little more "spirit of the rule" needs to be employed if possible.
They do the replays on those hits so the booth can take a minute and judge well.
NFL referees have their hands full trying to call proper penalties and I don't have a complaint really about that considering the speed and that there are twenty-two men to keep their eyes on.

In Olympic boxing (decades ago when I watched), I thought it was at least a little better with the head gear and the points scored for contacting the white tip of the glove.

I might have this wrong so please correct me if i have.

There was talk about making all boxers wear helmets a few years ago but boxers companied about the helmet blocking their view saying it was dangerous wearing one, i know if i was a boxer and had to make a choice i would choose to wear one not doing so to me is asking for trouble later in life

In hockey, the most violent contacts are when a player doesn't have his head up on open ice while carrying the puck. You just know someone is lining him up for a check at warp speed.
I've seen more than a few forwards knocked silly in that scenario.
US football a few decades ago basically ignored concussions.

There was talk about making all boxers wear helmets a few years ago but boxers companied about the helmet blocking their view saying it was dangerous wearing one, i know if i was a boxer and had to make a choice i would choose to wear one not doing so to me is asking for trouble later in life
I don't know, Chippy. I stopped following the game once it hit me (pun intended) just how f*****d up these guys get in a match. I couldn't enjoy it any longer. I was a big fan prior to that.
It would obviously be the right thing to do: balance fun/sport/safety.
Boxers are a different breed, I think, as probably are pro rugby players and the like. They just aren't concerned with what happens tomorrow. I'm not saying that attitude is either good or bad.
Edit: interestingly, the same complaint (reduced vision and thus more dangerous) was used here in Michigan for getting rid of the helmet law, which it was then gotten rid of..
It's BS as one can see just fine with a helmet on.

Last edited:
I am not sure where you get the idea that rugby fans that don't like head tackles are usually boxing fans even if that were true there is a bit of a difference between two trained fighters wearing boxing gloves being closely watched by a referee and medics and a huge rugby player taking another out by hitting him full tilt in the head, i am not surprised fans go mad when it happens.

Of course, because it is dangerous and needs to be removed, one way or another. You get a lot of "games going soft comments" but back in the 70s players were not build like they are today.

I remember watching a game in the stands and someone had been hit hard, I think it was a ruck and not even a tackle, but you could see when he stood up he was dazed and probably didn't know where he was for a few minutes.

I do not know for sure in grassroots but I know as a grassroots junior coach up until last year we all had to go on an RFU course regarding concussion protocols. These were to be enforced.. in theory

Back