Spray malt priming

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NickCarroll

Reaction score
Hi guys I was Just wondering how you guys go about priming with spay malt, I tried it last night and it was horrendous, any moisture and it's clumps up, I ended up mixing with hot water and using a child's medicine seringe, but It kept seperating so had to keep stirring the liquid, hopefully that's worked, I guess I'll find out in a week or so

Ive done it (mixed spraymalt) with boiling water, but you need to stir like a demon.

However to appease the mrs for all the time youre wasting making beer (again) if you save some and add a little baileys and sugar at the end it makes a very reasonable hot drink!

Last edited:
I really wouldn't bother. Given the volume of the beer, it's such a small amount that using spraymalt for priming won't make any difference to the final product.

Sugar is fine - and a lot easier.

I agree that sugar is fine but I use DME as the additional fermentable with kits by dissolving it in water with a rolling boil for about 30 mins or till it stops foaming. At that point it's fully dissolved. You could batch prime with the right amount of extract.

I think I'll just use carbon drops or dextrose next time as I have them, I used spray malt because the instructions called for it but that was way too much hassle

I've never had a problem with using spray malt for priming, but you need to dissolve it. I put 71g extra light spray malt in a sanitised saucepan, add 250ml boiling water and boil it for a few minutes, stirring fairly constantly. When cool, I add 5ml per pint bottle/4.5ml per 500ml bottle with a sanitised syringe.

Use table sugar. Or if you worry about something like off flavours from sucrose, high maltose (corn syrup) is a better option. Also DME at priming could be a source of hazeness in final beer.

I've never had a problem with using spray malt for priming, but you need to dissolve it. I put 71g extra light spray malt in a sanitised saucepan, add 250ml boiling water and boil it for a few minutes, stirring fairly constantly. When cool, I add 5ml per pint bottle/4.5ml per 500ml bottle with a sanitised syringe.
Why do you sanitise the saucepan if you are going to boil it?

Latest posts

Back