Spray Malt

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hopperty

Reaction score
I did a "Preachers Hefe wheat"out of the can brew recently where I added a "Wheat" DME and was very impressed with the outcome.

How would this brew be affected if I was to use a general spray malt instead ?

I'm thinking DME and Sprayalt are the same things ? but is a wheat based one substantially different.

so probably not much of a notable difference ?

The one thing that I have noticed about using spraymalt in can-kits instead of sugar is a much deeper richness and smoothness opposed to that zingy sparkly taste that comes from too much sugar, but could I use too much spraymalt ?

for instance my recent one was a one can kit + 500g spraymalt + 650g dextrose. which was a far suprerior brew to the can + 1kg dextrose.

would the brew improve again if i used the Can + 1kg spraymalt +200g dextrose ?

what would I get if I used the Can + 2kg spraymalt ?

there has to come a point where more spraymalt will ruin it..

so probably not much of a notable difference ?

The one thing that I have noticed about using spraymalt in can-kits instead of sugar is a much deeper richness and smoothness opposed to that zingy sparkly taste that comes from too much sugar, but could I use too much spraymalt ?

for instance my recent one was a one can kit + 500g spraymalt + 650g dextrose. which was a far suprerior brew to the can + 1kg dextrose.

would the brew improve again if i used the Can + 1kg spraymalt +200g dextrose ?

what would I get if I used the Can + 2kg spraymalt ?

there has to come a point where more spraymalt will ruin it..
I can't say anything about wheat DME because I haven't used it but in general terms the answer to the question would be it depends on what you are brewing and the type (colour) of DME you are using. So you could use more malt in a malty bitter, but perhaps not a lager. And the darker the LME the more noticeable the roasty flavours, although that is not too noticeable if used in moderation.
When I did one can kits I mostly used kit can plus 500g dextrose and 500g DME and adjusted the volume to suit and that worked for me.
But all that said kits like Wherry come with all malt extract, and folks use all malt extract in extract brewing.
So in your case the bottom line is you wont know whether it suits your palate until you have tried it.

Sorry to revive ancient thread but can anyone tell me whether adding wheat spraymalt to an extract kit is likely to lead to unwanted cloudiness or wheat in suspension?

Sorry to revive ancient thread but can anyone tell me whether adding wheat spraymalt to an extract kit is likely to lead to unwanted cloudiness or wheat in suspension?
As the cloudiness from wheat is from the higher protein content of wheat over barley, I would guess that some cloudiness may be a result. If you are happy to drink a whest beer, I don't see a real problem, myself.

As the cloudiness from wheat is from the higher protein content of wheat over barley, I would guess that some cloudiness may be a result. If you are happy to drink a whest beer, I don't see a real problem, myself.
I used to enjoy the occasional wheat beer but then one caused me a major gastric problem. In the meantime though I had successfully used wheat malt as an adjunct in all grain brews always achieving clarity. That changed with my last brew which just will not clear and drinking a 330 sample bottle caused exactly the same problem. That's why I want to explore the feasibility of wheat spraymalt which I believe is mixed with barley anyway and the shop has just messaged me saying it will fully ferment out but I would prefer to be absolutely sure.

Latest posts

Back