Spraymalts

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hopperty

Reaction score
what would be the difference in using a light or a dark spraymalt in a 1 Can stout kit. ?

if the instructions say add 1KG sugar, can I just add 1KG spraymalt instead - or would I need a different quantity?

How long does Spraymalt keep when the bag has been opened ?

And what is the best way to add it in ? last time I used it (an enhacer 50/50 with sugar) it seemed to clog into lumps that were difficult to break up.

My brewtaget calc lists spayment at 95% fermentable wheras sugar is 100% so its almost like for like. its best to dissolve in hot water then add the contents of the can to it. Spraymalt sucks up moisture if you even look at it the wrong way, I've not kept it once opened Unlike brewing and other sugar for fear of it turning into a sticky toffee.

Dissolve it in a few litres of warm water in the FV, stir well to dissolve, then add the kit, then top up to volume with cold water. Spaymalt clumps less in warm water.

It'll keep for about 30 seconds once the bag is opened. Seriously, it will clump up with the moisture from the air, so always use a full bag in a brew.

It's horrible stuff to deal with but a great product that's way superior to sugar in brews.

You are unlikely to notice any significant difference between using light or dark in a stout, but if you have a choice go for dark.
Table sugar will increase the ABV by about 50% more than spray malt (or 1.5kg spray malt is equivalent to 1kg table sugar).
I have found that the easiest way to dissolve spray malt is to dissolve it in cold water. It doesn't seem to clump together as much as it does in hot water. So I just progressively introduce into cold water in my FV and try to keep it mixed as I do it. However If you dump a large quantity of spray malt into water at any temperature it will clump together.
I buy 3kg bags of spray malt and from them weigh out 1 kg before I use it, having cut the corner off the bag. I then squeeze out the air from the bag and reseal the bag with sellotape. Works for me

Last edited:
You are unlikely to notice any significant difference between using light or dark in a stout, but if you have a choice go for dark.
Table sugar will increase the ABV by about 50% more than spray malt (or 1.5kg spray malt is equivalent to 1kg table sugar).
I have found that the easiest way to dissolve spray malt is to dissolve it in cold water. It doesn't seem to clump together as much as it does in hot water. So I just progressively introduce into cold water in my FV and try to keep it mixed as I do it. However If you dump a large quantity of spray malt into water at any temperature it will clump together.
I buy 3kg bags of spray malt and from them weigh out 1 kg before I use it, having cut the corner off the bag. I then squeeze out the air from the bag and reseal the bag with sellotape. Works for me
so if I was to use 1kg of spray malt instead of 1kg of sugar - would I need to add 333g of sugar to bring it up to the same ABV ?

I have quite ofte used half a 1Kg bag of dried malt extract. Open the bag, pour out one half into bowl on scales, fold the bag closed tightly excluding as much air as possible, and wrap a couple of elastic bands around - seems to work.

If I am using a brewing sugar in the same brew (typically a one can brew pus brewing sugar plus DME) then i find dry- mixing the malt thoroughly with the sugar first and mixing that with hot water in the FV before adding the can reduces the clumping (doesn't stop it completely, but I presume small lumps dissolve eventually).

I recently used it for the first time for a yeast started (I used jars of H&B LME for the only other 2 yeast starters I’ve done) and I bought one of those airtight cereal dispenser Tupperwares for it.

It’s sticky AF though, took a lot of scrubbing to get up the bit I spilled after it got a bit damp.

As for mixing the spraymalt; I used a large pan of luke warm water, sprinkled the spraymalt in gently whilst continually mixing with the electric food mixer, there was zero clumping.

The only clumping I did get was after the boiling water and contents of the can were in the FV, I poured the little bit of dry spraymalt that was still in the bag into the FV, when that touched the water (60ºc) it immediately clumped.

Latest posts

Back