Sprouts.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sprouts good or Bad?

• I hated them when i was a kid but like them now.

• Always liked them.

• Always disliked them.

Results are only viewable after voting.
I'm a fan of them now. When i was a kid though, sprouts were awful. Probably bought when they were past it and then cooked to death. Hateful things when badly cooked.

Grow your own and they are delightful, especially after frost as they are one of those vegetables that convert starch to sugar as a form of antifreeze. I like them cooked lightly steamed, or sliced and stirfried with soy sauce and a bit of honey is great too, or roasted.

My kids aren't keen on them, so I make them sound better. Who wants 'Mini Christmas Cabbage' or 'Green Sports Candy?'

I did read a few years ago that some modern varieties aren't as bitter as they used to be.

Anybody ever tried them raw? My wife sometimes cuts away the outer leaves, then shreds the uncooked core, and mixes it in with a salad or coleslaw. You don't need a lot, and they add a really nice sharp bite to the taste. Very good with some decent English cheese and piccalilli.

Latest posts

Back