Sprouts.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sprouts good or Bad?

• I hated them when i was a kid but like them now.

• Always liked them.

• Always disliked them.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Chippy_Tea

Administrator.
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I am listening to the 606 pod and they are discussing sprouts they are the marmite of the veg world so lets see what the members think.

Delicious! The stronger the better too. My allotment crop was eaten by something this year so I'm going to make an extra effort for next year and grow loads.

I love Brussel Sprouts, always have since a kid, like @Clint the stronger the better and I grow my own, last year perfect, this year got eaten by something but we did have enough for Christmas dinner, tonight - Fish Pie with Sprouts

Sprouts should be boiled or steamed until just done...those telly cooks who try to make a big deal by adding all sorts to them are just ruining a good product.
Well you are right, but I do like chestnuts with them on Xmas day

Well you are right, but I do like chestnuts with them on Xmas day
If you already like sprouts I can't see a problem with that but I feel the telly cooks are trying to tart them up into something they're not to try and convince people who hate sprouts that they don't really...
It's like saying to someone who doesn't like chicken that they might like it curried.

I feel the telly cooks are trying to tart them up into something they're not to try and convince people who hate sprouts that they don't really...
Yes they probably are, but haven't chefs always done that? Tart things up I mean.

Sprouts are simply the best vegitable ever. My wife and kids also love them, the latter a great result for our parenting skills perhaps.
The media seem to constantly slate them on the lead up to Christmas and I am sure that kids pick up on this and form a prejudice against them before they have even tasted them.
I love the bitterness of my beer, as do many others I am sure 🙄, so why not in vegitables as well?

My daughter has never liked sprouts. This year I just cut them in half, oiled and seasoned then roast with the parsnips for half an hour. She loved them

Hate. Many a bad memory of being forced to eat them. There's a lot of food I didn't like as a kid that I happily eat now, but the thought of eating a sprout actually makes me gag a little.

My wife has given up saying "you'd like them if they were cooked right", as deep down she knows she's the same with chicken soup. When she was young and had a vomiting bug her childminder insisted all she needed to eat was chicken soup, and she's forever since had the link between the two and feels nauseous just thinking about it. So knows there's some things you just can't change with the mentality of "just give it a go"

Love sprouts. This got me thinking about something I've only had a couple of times but loved them.....

Sprout tops

As I remember the flavour, they were sort of sprout'y but much nicer. Haven't seen them for years but I believe Waitrose sell them. They're now an "in food" but when my mum used to get them the greengrocer used to give them away as they weren't a thing back in those days.
Must buy some and educate the Mrs, she will have a couple of sprouts it isn't really fussed and mashes them up. I love to eat them whole 🤤

Cheers Tom

Grew up eating sprouts. They were either done in the pressure cooker or boiled. Always thought of them as "small cabbages" and it may well be that they're from the same family (don't know and don't care).
We'd eat them with white vinegar or salt and butter. I liked them soft so I could mash the heck out of them with butter. Like them? It's hard to say. It could be my love affair with butter but as long as I consider a food to to be healthy, I will eat it whether I like it or not.

Back