spun dry cider.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vindiv8

Reaction score
This method is a slightly modified version given to me by the Lizard Cyder farm in Cornwall. I have made a few changes. It is a great way to make real cider without going to the expense of fruit presses.

Equipment (no I am not joking) :grin:

Old fashioned spin dryer (£10 ebay)

Garden Shredder
OR
Pulpmaster bucket (£20ish home brew shops)
Powerdrill

FV
large Sieve

The Apples.
I used some from my tree, crab apples from local field and apples from a friends tree. They cost me nothing. I used about a quarter crab apples for bittering, I wanted a very sharp dry cider. I have no idea on the variety. I had about 50kgs.

apples.jpg

Washing the apples, you can see the mix of apples used.

Milling.
First wash apples in a bucket of Metabisulphate mix, and then rinse. Cut large apples into quarters, small ones in halves. This helps the milling process and lets you check the apples for grubs and quality. Dispose of any bad apples.

Then either:
Clean garden shredder, put a clean bucket under it, and chuck the apples through, collecting in the bucket.

Or:
Put quartered apples in pulpmaster bucket and fit lid. Start drill, and slowly lower and raise blades through the apples. Then take off lid and stir. Repeat until apples are nicely pulped.

I used the pulpmaster, so I cannot vouch for the garden shredder, but the cider farm assured me it is tried and tested, I cannot see any reason it won't work.

milling.jpg>

Apples ready to be milled in the pulpmaster bucket.

Pressing.
Once you have a bucket of pulp, it is time to press :thumb:

Before I started I gave the spin dryer a really good clean, then soaked a towel in a strong sterilising solution and then spun that dry. I then spun dry a clean towel soaked in boiled water. I did the final stage a few times until I could no longer smell the sterilising solution.

Put your sanitised FV under the dryer spout. Tip your first bucket of pulped apple into the dryer. Level the load a uneven load will result in apple EVERYWHERE possibly a broken dryer, broken kitchen and broken you. Trust me, I made this mistake. Close the lid to start the dryer, keep your hand on the open catch button whilst the load evens itself out. This is so that if the apples fail to balance you can stop it quickly before damage occurs.

Within a few seconds, golden apple juice will start to pour out of the spout! :D I placed a sieve on top of the FV under the spout. This caught any bits of apples that came through.

spun.jpg

I ROFL'ed the first time this happened! :rofl: Apple juice from a dryer!

Whilst your apples are spinning, chop and mill your next bucket of apples.

Once the juice flow slows/stops, open the lid and remove the dried pulp. The easiest way I found was just to get my hands in there! SAVE THE DRIED PULP.

Repeat until you have pulped all your apples or you are happy with the amount of juice.

I had just over 4 gallon of very high sugar content juice once I had pulped all my apples. I wanted a quiet easy drinking cider, I have some in bottles at 15% :eek: , which is too strong for everyday. I was aiming for about 5% strength.

2nd pressing.
Put dried pulp in a bucket and just cover with water and soak for about 10 minutes, until most of the water has soaked in, a stir helps. Then spin this. Whilst that's spinning soak your next batch.

Keep doing this until you either reach your desired sugar content, checking with a hydrometer (of course) or you have collected the required amount of juice.

You may not need to do a second pressing, it depends on your apples. I left mine a bit too long and were past their best.

Fermenting.
Check your juice is around 20degC and pitch your yeast. I used Young's champagne yeast because A> I wanted it to be dry and B> I had a packet :)

I allowed it to ferment for a week, then dropped it into a second FV to get it away from the pulp that was floating on top.

fermenting.jpg

After a couple of weeks in the FV's I transfered it to a keg. I like my cider with a bit of carbonation, so I did prime the barrel, as you would for ale. I could not believe just how good this was. :mrgreen: Easily the best cider I have drank! Just what I was aiming for, nice and tart, cloudy with a bit of fizz.

Cheers :drink:

Looks a great idea i wonder if the wife would let me use the washing machine on a spin cycle to get the juice :rofl: :rofl:

Seriously though it is great

evanvine said:
I've thought about using a spin drier for many years, but never followed it up.
After this excellent post I may well actually go for it!

My total spend this year was £30 for 5 gallon of cider. I now have the gear, next year: FREE

the whole thing sounds lethal!

the whizzy blade attached to a drill in a plastic bucket - OMG health and safety nightmare - hope you did a risk assessment :whistle:
(how come there's no 'raised eyebrow' emoticon?!) oops this one :|

I've been making cider for 5 years, and have decided to make my own press and scratter for this years crop (Autumn 2011)

I prefer my cider dry and clear, but it seams that your's was ok, and at least you liked it.

Crastney said:
the whole thing sounds lethal!

the whizzy blade attached to a drill in a plastic bucket - OMG health and safety nightmare - hope you did a risk assessment :whistle:

the pulp master is great you just need 2 keep hold of it when you turn drill on :rofl:

Yes the pulp master could be lethal, if you shoved it in someones face you would definately get newspaper headlines. But when used as per instructions it's quite safe, works just like a upside down blender. And yes I am still enjoying the cider :drunk:

Vindiv8 said:
Yes the pulp master could be lethal, if you shoved it in someones face you would definately get newspaper headlines. But when used as per instructions it's quite safe, works just like a upside down blender. And yes I am still enjoying the cider :drunk:

:rofl:

lol believe me , if I can use one safe anyone can lol I am prob the most clumsy person around haha

like I said just don't let bucket stand alone make sure it is held tight or apples go everywhere and you end up with a very mad apple covered mum :D

yes, she found it funny once I had cleaned up though so it aint all bad hehe :lol:

didn't do as much mess as a juicer does if you chuck about 28lb of apple through it :lol: wouldn't advise that either :rofl:

she's old enough to clean herself :lol: :cheers: hehehehe it was very funny though she stays away when I'm messing with brew now haha

although it wasn't as funny as when I gave my mate a cider bomb lol :) it was like a cider waterfall but with 7 people sat under it hahaha (it was only because his girlfriend was sat there tipping the cider upside down and back up right saying 'oooooo look at the stuff inside its like a lava lamp' she was meaning the sediment ............ I said you don't really wanna be doing that it's a really fizzy cider lol next thing her fella slightly opens it BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM :rofl: I told her not 2 do it :rofl: :whistle:

Really interested in this method. I have managed to get a spin-drier off Freecycle. Now just need a shredder! We have 6 large apple trees in the garden plus access to an old apple orchard which has loads of different apple trees. They just go to waste as nobody picks them. (Well I am the only one that picks them!) I don't know the varieties but there are sour/sharp ones as well as sweet ones. We tried putting apples through the juicer last year but it was almost more trouble than it was worth. We did manage to make a small amount of cider last year using the juicer and it was the best we have ever tasted :cheers:
BTW this is my first ever post - I have been a lurker for a while. Have just got back into making wine after a 20 year break. Am having a ball :drink:

Welcome to the forum Joycey.

Joyceybabe said:
We have 6 large apple trees in the garden plus access to an old apple orchard which has loads of different apple trees. They just go to waste as nobody picks them.

You lucky so and so :mrgreen:

Not in Cornwall are you, I have been looking for an unlimited supply of apples for years !!.

Ask away with any questions that you have, we are all here to help.

Cheers Neil

aneray said:
Not in Cornwall are you, I have been looking for an unlimited supply of apples for years !!.

Cheers Neil
Couldn't be much further away form you Neil! Cumbria. The orchard is in the grounds of an old farmhouse which has been developed into offices. You have to fight your way through loads of thistles and brambles and nettles to get to the apples!
Thanks for the welcome
Joyce

Back