Spunding valve ruined (BlowTie 2)?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JT_Brews

Reaction score
So, I've been an idiot. I just got a spunding valve to pressure ferment in a corny keg and in preparation I brewed a batch on sunday expecting it to arrive yesterday. In my enthusiasm and haste trying to put it on between arranging children's Teams meetings I forgot to ensure the keg was depressurised and, well, fermentation appears to have gone well.

So I attach the spunding vale and the pressure is well off the guage and as I release it first I get massive gas release then... wort ejected at my ceiling. I've flushed the valve with Co2 to try and clear it out but the gauge is stuck on 7psi (about half way now). It is permenantly knacked or can I fix it?

You can take the spunding bit apart and give it a clean bit the gauge is knackered.

You can get replacement ones from AliExpress for pennies.

What you can do in the meantime if you have a normal regulator and co2 is charge something up to say 10 psi then undo the spunding valve until it starts letting through gas. Stick it on and leave it.

That’s what I do before I start fermenting.

You can take the gauge out and all of the mechanism is exposed, looks a bit like a watch.
You've got nothing to lose by gently flushing it with some distilled water or r/o.
What's the worst that can happen?

The problem was you released the gas too fast and it fizzed up like opening up a bottle of shaken beer.
You have to release the gas slowly until you get to the level you want.
Do you still have the disconnect attached, I was wondering if there was 7psi between the spunding valve and the disconnect?
I was under the impression that the Blowtie can carry liquid?

I don't think it was the liquid that screwed it so much as the extreme pressure. It took me all afternoon gradually releasing it. The guage is definitely borked as known 10 psi sends it off the scale now. Oh well, lesson learnt :)

I don't think it was the liquid that screwed it so much as the extreme pressure. It took me all afternoon gradually releasing it. The guage is definitely borked as known 10 psi sends it off the scale now. Oh well, lesson learnt :)
Wow that must have been a lot of pressure. When it’s in full ferment you can watch the gauge rising. Lucky it was on a corny keg, if it was a plastic pressure fermenter, it probably would have exploded 😂

A lager brewed at 20c in a keg, needs 30 psi for full carbonation.
Plus you can buy a Blowtie for around £10 delivered, at the Kegland Shop on Ali Express.

Latest posts

Back