Ss Brew kettle mod

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi Guys,
I've been Biab with my 10 gal Ss brew kettle for 3 years or so now and am considering adding a mash recirculating sytem In an effort to improve efficiency.
Is this the way to go, and if so what parts would I need to adapt my standard brew kettle.

I added a spray nozzle, purchased from china via ebay and added a pump to circulate the wort, works great for me and also use a 10 gal ss brewtech pot.
If you have seen clawhammer supplies system on youtube, it is a similar system just with a brew bag rather than basket. I use a grainfather connect controller to control the temps and pump.

For interests sake, what eff do you currently get? I still sometimes only get 63% as I buy the grains pre-crushed and at the mercy of the seller crush wise... for me adding a re-circ has improved my wort clarity, but not always my eff.

Thanks for your reply David, I'm getting in the region of 65/67% brew house eff. I crush my own at the usual credit card setting on the rollers. What I really hate is after all the time and effort brewing the end result is too sweet. There appears to be a few reasons for this so I thought I should start with my mash. I use a 3kw buffalo convection heater to heat up the insulated kettle but if the temp drops I have been turning on the heat at the lowest (.5kw) setting and waiting until the temp starts to creep up, it's a bit tricky and more often than not I have to open up the kettle and stir to try and get some cool air in to reduce the temp to 66c.
I'll get right on to eBay and utube and check out your suggestions, also the grain father connect sounds useful.
Thanks again for your speedy response.
Tom

Latest posts

Back