SS Brewtech with Recirc Pump setup.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

r-evans

Reaction score
Just got all the fixings and fittings together for my new brew kettle, so testing them out. I took inspiration from the Clawhammer kit as I like their setup but didn't want to pay the price. Also thanks to @DavidHatton who shared a lot of info about his similar setup.

I still need to buy an element (on the hob in pics as it wouldn't fit under cabinets) which I will connect with a weedless tri-clamp fitting for easy removal and cleaning. Also still looking for a bigger sized grain basket, can only find 30x30cm ones which are a little small.

Would also like an all in one controller for the pump and element, but not able to find many already built systems.

IMG_20201021_134453.jpg

IMG_20201021_134909_024.jpg

Last edited:
Why not use a grainfather controller?

I don't think my pump would plug into it? It's just a regular 3 pin wall plug.

Also not sure on the dimensions of your set up but one or two places to get in touch with after a brief Google search

https://www.brewbuilder.co.uk/all-stainless-biab.htmlOut of stock but I'm sure if your got in touch they would help you out with some pointers maybe?

https://www.kegkingdom.co.uk/products/brew-in-a-basket?variant=22941717955Please be wary of delivery time expectations with this seller. Look over the forum and make your own decision.

What size are you looking for exactly?

These are what I've seen, my kettle is 40cm wide and 50cm tall so quite a bit larger than anything I've seen.

It'd be easier if I had a 10 gallon kettle, but I managed to get this 15 gallon for way cheaper than a 5 gallon so had to snap it up.

Last edited:
I may be utterly wrong here but @DavidHatton has done this very thing so can tell you further specifics.

In my mind tho it's an adapted hot kettle lead wired to your element. Same goes for the pump. Plumb into the GF controller and hey presto you have a thermometer you can also stick in a thermowell.

I may be utterly wrong here but @DavidHatton has done this very thing so can tell you further specifics.

In my mind tho it's an adapted hot kettle lead wired to your element. Same goes for the pump. Plumb into the GF controller and hey presto you have a thermometer you can also stick in a thermowell.

I think he used a grainfather pump with the controller. Might be a way to connect it anyway.

These are what I've seen, my kettle is 40cm wide and 50cm tall so quite a bit larger than anything I've seen.

It'd be easier if I had a 10 gallon kettle, but I managed to get this 15 gallon for way cheaper than a 5 gallon so had to snap it up.

What I did was buy the grainfather controller, pump and controller probe fitting (malt miller) then add them to my 10 gal brew kettle, it worked great recirculating through a nozzle in the lid.
But in all fairness, I sold it and bought a Brew Monk and find it a breeze, all the messing around setting it up and washing it and packing it away was getting annoying as I don't have a dedicated brewing space.

I’ve been similarly inspired by the Clawhammer. Where did you find the lid sprayer?

Just got all the fixings and fittings together for my new brew kettle, so testing them out. I took inspiration from the Clawhammer kit as I like their setup but didn't want to pay the price. Also thanks to @DavidHatton who shared a lot of info about his similar setup.

I still need to buy an element (on the hob in pics as it wouldn't fit under cabinets) which I will connect with a weedless tri-clamp fitting for easy removal and cleaning. Also still looking for a bigger sized grain basket, can only find 30x30cm ones which are a little small.

Would also like an all in one controller for the pump and element, but not able to find many already built systems.

View attachment 34399
View attachment 34400

Looking grand! Happy to be of assistance.

The spray nozzle looks very neat, do hou find that it sparges evenly and effectively e.g. compared to a rotating sparge arm?

I haven't used it yet, it does seem to spread the flow quite nicely. I know from watching the Clawhammer videos that they seem to pick up the lid and move the nozzle around quite a bit to help spread it out.

If you like the Clawhammer controller, you know that it’s really a $99 inkbird ?
Inkbird IPB-16 Inkbird 15A IPB-16S Pre-wired Digital Home Brewing and Distilling Controller

There are a few discussions on other forums and internal photos. It’s the inkbird in a black case. Clawhammer sell it as 120v, but it seems to be made as 110 to 240v 50/60Hz. It will do at least 10A at 250V, so a 2.5kw element should be right? Dernord do a 2.4KW 250V. I just bought the element, and might get the controller soon.

edit : actually 12A at 220v so a slightly laeger element is OK

ps the 240V Clawhammer is INKBIRD IPB-26 30A/240V Pre-Wired Digital Home Brewing Heating&Water Pump PID Temperature Controller but not the same as our 240V in Europe. Beware.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back