SS Growler and Conditioning

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi All
I have taken a look on the forum but didn't find an exact match to my question.

Following a very nice brewery tour at Chiltern Brewery, I now have a 2 litre stainless steel growler:

Chiltern-Brewery-Growler-web-social-media.png

https://chilternbrewery.co.uk/shop/chiltern-brewery-re-fillable-growler/

Can I prime and condition my beer in these?

I think I read that larger mini kegs require slightly less priming sugar, so maybe the same with these?

Probably leave a decent amount of headspace.. . .

Any other things to consider, other than maybe decanting into a jug and the large pop when I open it?

Thank you...

I wouldn't have thought that it is rated for pressure.

Me too, but with the proviso that the flip-top may act as a pressure relief if you over carb something; i.e. just like the flip-top glass bottles that I use.

There is a Carbonation Calculator at the top of this page and personally I would have no hesitation in carbonating a brew in your particular Growler at 3g per litre.

Back in the day, a mate of mine used to arrive at a party toting a gallon sized wooden barrel of beer for his own personal use! All he did was fill the barrel from his PB before the party and rely on the dissolved CO2 in the beer to maintain pressure as he drank it. You could do the same with your own Growler.

BTW, that was before "The Breathalyser" and he used to drive home! Happy Days!

I've read it's fine to condition in stainless growlsers if they've got a rubber or silicone grommet. I wouldn't think twice about it.
Use the most pasted link on the site to work out what carbonation you want - https://www.brewersfriend.com/beer-priming-calculator/

Temp is the temp it finished brewing at or the highest temp it's been kept at for any length of time after fermentation. And prime to the volume of the container, not the volume of beer you have.

Latest posts

Back