Ss mashtun owners. Preheat rituals?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kiwigaz

Reaction score
So I got myself a 10 gal insulated mash tun recently.

After two brews in it so far I’m wondering how people preheat it?

I’ve tried boiling kettles tipped in to it and also adding about 3 litres of sparge water for 5 mins (before draining and reheating to strike temp.

However I’m still missing my rest temp.

Ideas please or what you do that works

I have a HERMS set up with my plastic picnic box mash tun. While the strike water is being heated I pour a kettle of hot water in the mash tun and circulate it until strike water is ready. I drain the pre-heat water, add the grain to the mash tun and then add the strike water from the bottom of the tun. I know from experience with my kit that strike water temperature of 70C measured in the kettle gives me 65C in the tun which I can maintain with HERMS.

I just add my strike water a few degrees over what Beersmith recommends based upon the 'adjust temp for equipment setting', then leave it for 5 minutes with the lid on to make sure it's come down to the actual required strike temperature. About 9C above what I'm aiming for generally gets me on target.

You'll need to measure it each time and take a note until you figure out what works for you.

Cheers for that info. It’s exactly what I wanted was a starting point. I’m looking to go to full volume mash to take advantage of the capacity of the tun and reduce brew day complexity

I too have buggered about trying to preheat my picnic box mash tun... especially this time of year...
Bring it indoors 24 hours before you need it. Then add some hot water. I also keep my malt in the house.

I find hitting mash temperature a bit variable with my 38l s/s Thermopot - I pre-heat it with the strike water about 10C above mash temperature then drain it, re-heat the strike water based on grain temperature and quantity, put grain in the mash tun and mash-in by underletting. V. similar to @Buffers brewery. When calculating the volume of strike water, I use my chosen water:grain ratio (usually 3:1) and add the volume in the mash tun underneath the false bottom. I’m in the process of installing a herms coil in the HLT to improve temperature stability/control.

Cheers for that info. It’s exactly what I wanted was a starting point. I’m looking to go to full volume mash to take advantage of the capacity of the tun and reduce brew day complexity

If you're going full volume then you only need to go moderately above the target mash temperature as you're putting a lot more heat into the mash tun. I would use a calculator, then add a couple of degrees.

Ultimately you'll need to do a bit of trial and error and take notes. My kit is all stored and used outdoors so I have to adjust between summer and winter.

I have a HERMS set up with my plastic picnic box mash tun. While the strike water is being heated I pour a kettle of hot water in the mash tun and circulate it until strike water is ready. I drain the pre-heat water, add the grain to the mash tun and then add the strike water from the bottom of the tun. I know from experience with my kit that strike water temperature of 70C measured in the kettle gives me 65C in the tun which I can maintain with HERMS.
I do the same both in my picnic boxes and my SS mashtun. Boiling water in the tun while the mash water's coming up to temperature, jettison the water before making up the mash. I have to heat mine to 72C to get a mash coming out around 64-64C. I leave it for 15 minutes to settle down and then bring the mash up to temperature with more boiling water. It's important to cover the lid of the mash tun, I think, with a folded towel or something as they tend not to be well insulated. As I keep my grain outside in the garage, I usually go for a higher strike temperature in the winter to compensate for the grain being colder.

Thanks for the info. I keep my mashtun and grain inside as I have the room. My batch size only being 20l has prompted the full volume move. My thinking being more water will maintain its heat better in the large vessel.

The lid is insulated so I’m not too worried about that. I’m beginning to doubt the accuracy of the supplied thermometer though.

I guess only having used it a few times I don’t have enough experience with it yet.

Back