SS pot as fermenter

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello all

In an attempt to improve brews and rule out certain kit and processes, I want to avoid using my existing plastic FV.

I've just done my first brew in my new BrewZilla and thinking I could just transfer wort to my old SS pot that I have previously used for the boil.

Clearly, it won't have a hole for an air lock and it doesn't have a tap.

It just has a flat lid that won't be airtight. I appreciate that plastic FV lids aren't particularly airtight anyway.

I dont use the airlock for anything really (in terms of a visual prompt) as it will be in a ferm fridge, and I have an iSpindel I can use for remote monitoring of fermentation activity (assuming it works through the SS pot)

I've read elsewhere that ideally the lid should be sealed and that without it is effectively open fermentation and possibly susceptible to airborne infection.

Given this will have a reasonable fitting lid albeit not fully sealed and airtight, and in a ferm fridge, is this a bad idea?

(Another member suggested I could use large plastic water containers, which I a great idea, except I would have to use three and whilst clean, empty and unused, they have been hanging around the garage for a few months)

Thanks for getting this far.

From what I've read of open ferments, once the yeast gets going it should be fine, but as fermentation dies down it can be susceptible to infection. In my own experience, I've had mixed results with improper sealing lids - some brews got infected and others didn't. It's been a long time since I last tried this so not sure why some came out bad. I have heard of other forumites who have never had a problem.

I have always used an old plastic FV vessel with a small hole in the top.
Lid has now split in several places (So the Mrs has a new one with a tap & airlock for me for Xmas)
But, I have never had a problem with my old plastic bucket, but then I do only brew ales.
I suspect you AIPA brewers with your obsession about oxidising would never get away with it.

Latest posts

Back