St peter’s Golden Ale.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jimbo77

Reaction score
I was looking for lighter summer style beer (usually go for darker beer). Something thirst quenching after a days fishing, a kit myself and the Mrs would enjoy in the garden as an alternative to her Coors!
I’m not a fan of very over hopped beer like some of the American Ipa’s, but do like a bit of hoppiness
Please feel free to make a suggestion along these lines...
Had been recommended Rajas Reward but i was put off by the reviews.
So decided on the above kit.
Started 1/6/20
Upon opening the kit I was disappointed by the small quantity of yeast 6g.
So i decided to substitute for a 11g Wilko Gervin packet that i had in the garage in case of stuck fermentation.
Woodforde kits come with two packs so i wrongly assumed these would too.
Made with 20.5 litres of water. Og 1048.
Pitched full packet of hop powder and Wilko yeast.
Ambient Temp 22c (I Don’t have a fermentation fridge ( looking out for a 2nd hand fridge)
2/6/20 Fv bubbling continuously has reached 24-26c (i tried to bring temp down with ice packs)
Plan on leaving 2 weeks to ferment.

Last edited:
Thanks. I’m always on the look for my next extract Kit.

@Jimbo77
Why not try experimenting a bit? One of the simplest and best ways of lifting a one can is to add a dry hop or hop tea
So why not buy a 1.7kg or more one can kit and then make it up with 1 kg DME or half and half DME and dextrose to keep it simple, then add the hops of your choice.
There are so many hops out there to choose from and that way you find out what each different hop contributes. And you could split a batch and use one hop in one half and one in another.
I used to used the Coopers AuPA as a base and probably the best hop I added was US Cascade, although I used First Gold, Motueka, Styrian Goldings and EKG along the way.

@Jimbo77
Why not try experimenting a bit? One of the simplest and best ways of lifting a one can is to add a dry hop or hop tea
So why not buy a 1.7kg or more one can kit and then make it up with 1 kg DME or half and half DME and dextrose to keep it simple, then add the hops of your choice.
There are so many hops out there to choose from and that way you find out what each different hop contributes. And you could split a batch and use one hop in one half and one in another.
I used to used the Coopers AuPA as a base and probably the best hop I added was US Cascade, although I used First Gold, Motueka, Styrian Goldings and EKG along the way.

Terrym.

Thanks for the good suggestions. Like the idea of splitting a generic kit. 1st Half as per instructions 2nd dry hop.
Once i’ve finished this kit and another ( possibly Nelsons Revenge ) just trying to to build up Beer stock
For our summer stay-cation.

Well after 10 days in Fv (11/6/20) 1st reading is 1010, which I’m very pleased
With. Which gives an Abv of 4.99.
The only one of the three Woodforde kits I’ve made that have been near or over the stated (4.8) Alc %. Probably cos I used a Wilco yeast.
I’m might leave it a week then bottle it.

Latest posts

Back