St Peters Cream Stout kit additions

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AMyd666

Regular.
Reaction score
Hi. I've just ordered the 3kg St Peters cream stout kit, but fancied boosting it. To that end I've ordered 1.2kg of beerworks LME and will add a further 1kg of soft dark brown sugar. The calculations estimate 8.5%ABV, which sounds good as I like strong stouts like Guinness Foreign Extra and imperial stouts.
Also toying with the idea to add 250g Bournville Cocoa powder and 500ml of cold brew coffee.
Has anyone completed similar and how did it work out?

150g Blackstrap Molasses
30g Milled Flaxseed (Linseed)
20g Licorice Root Powder

Add the above to 2L of wort and boil for 10 mins... Cool and add to FV...

150g Blackstrap Molasses
30g Milled Flaxseed (Linseed)
20g Licorice Root Powder

Add the above to 2L of wort and boil for 10 mins... Cool and add to FV...
Hi. Sounds interesting! Was to the St Peters kit? How did it work out?

If you add the cocoa then wait until fermentation has cooked out for about 4 days then make it up with water on the cooker and add it. I did a chocolate orange beer recently and the cocoa was amazing early on then died right off. And don't add orange peel in secondary - unless you want bubble bath tasting beer.

Thanks. I'll add it after fg reading .then leave it a few days before bottling. Will do the same with a sliced vanilla pod. Noted the orange tip!

Cool. I've read about liquorice before. Probably very similar to treacle. Now, with all that sugar, should I use two packets of yeast?

It's going to an interesting brew, especially with Clint's warning! I hope the added height the krauzen collar provides will be enough to contain it! Will let you know how I get on. Currently awaiting a Coopers Mexican Cerveza kit to finish secondary fermentation. Only three weeks old at present. Kit can, beer enhancer 2 and 500g youngs brewing sugar. Nothing fancy.

I'm curious what adding some muscovado sugar solution would do prior to bottling. Would it add sweetness, or become the priming sugar?

Good idea Clint. Add a few days before bottling I presume? I plan on using one carbonation drop per 500ml bottle, as I don't like fizzy dark beer. I'll forego adding sugar solution before bottling due to using drops.

In ag lactose is added during the boil...not sure about a kit. I think the main thing is getting it to fully dissolve and disperse properly so boiling some may be the way to go before chilling then adding to the finished brew. I'd do it on bottling day. Transferring to a bottling bucket together with priming sugar would make things easier.

Yes, 2 packets of yeast...
Hi. I read an old thread where people complained about 2 can kits only containing 6g of yeast. My kit comes with 6g yeast. I have two more 6g packets available. I'm wondering if I should add a third due to the amount of sugar?

Back