St Peter's Cream Stout

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Southern Geordie

Reaction score
First time poster long time lurker!

I am new to brewing. My first attempt was a Wilkos Artisan Red Ale which is going down rather nicely.

I'm now dipping my toe into stouts and have bought a St Peter's Cream Stout kit.

I was looking at swapping the suagr for a DME however as the kit does not require sugar for primary fermentation could i still include this or will it spoil the brew.

You can add sugar brown or dextrose or dry malt extract or molasses. Or you can make it a sweet stout by added Lactose (milk sugar).

Another question to add on this:
Has anyone tried short brewing this to get a more punchy stout, if so how did it turn out?
I’m thinking of pitching it for just 25-30 pints rather than 36, and maybe adding a little black treacle.

Thoughts?

Hi there
Also doing the cream of stout for the first time. I have 750ml bottles and asking for advice on much sugar or carbonating drops do i need?
cheers

v

I made this kit last year - added spraymalt and freshly brewed coffee following a recommendation on this forum. It was superb. There’s a thread somewhere.

Hi there
Also doing the cream of stout for the first time. I have 750ml bottles and asking for advice on much sugar or carbonating drops do i need?
cheers

v
Last time i made this i batch primed with 125g glucose. Was aiming for 2.3 vols CO2. That might be a little much for some stout or ale aficionados but i like all my beers to have some life about them.

I suggest you use three quarters of a tea spoon of brewing sugar for every 750ml bottle. This beer will really improve after the first 3 months.

Last time i made this i batch primed with 125g glucose. Was aiming for 2.3 vols CO2. That might be a little much for some stout or ale aficionados but i like all my beers to have some life about them.
cheers for this. will let you know how i get on

I suggest you use three quarters of a tea spoon of brewing sugar for every 750ml bottle. This beer will really improve after the first 3 months.
thanks, will do that. will keep you guys posted once i get to taste it.

I made this kit last year - added spraymalt and freshly brewed coffee following a recommendation on this forum. It was superb. There’s a thread somewhere.
Have this kit waiting for space to go on. May I ask how much dry malt and coffee you added.
Previously read that 100g of ground coffee worked well, so have that penciled in, but open to ideas
Cheers

Have this kit waiting for space to go on. May I ask how much dry malt and coffee you added.
Previously read that 100g of ground coffee worked well, so have that penciled in, but open to ideas
Cheers

Luckily, I put the details into my phone!

100g ground coffee, brewed with 2 litres of very hot (but not boiling) water. I made it in a cafetiere.
500g light spraymalt

Fermented at 18ºC for 14 days. Secondary fermentation in bottles, with 124g soft brown sugar at 18ºC for 10 days.

Conditioned for one month at 8ºC.

It was a beatiful pint and definitely improved over time (so leave it if you can!). If I did it again (which I will), I would increase the amount of coffee slightly. I got a hint of coffee, but would personally prefer a bit more.

Hope this helps!

Luckily, I put the details into my phone!

100g ground coffee, brewed with 2 litres of very hot (but not boiling) water. I made it in a cafetiere.
500g light spraymalt

Fermented at 18ºC for 14 days. Secondary fermentation in bottles, with 124g soft brown sugar at 18ºC for 10 days.

Conditioned for one month at 8ºC.

It was a beatiful pint and definitely improved over time (so leave it if you can!). If I did it again (which I will), I would increase the amount of coffee slightly. I got a hint of coffee, but would personally prefer a bit more.

Hope this helps!
Brill, that sounds great.
I guess the thing with coffee if how dark the roast is.
Thanks for the brew tips, I guess keeping will be easier if it gets warmer for a while, be on the IPAs and cider then.
Thanks againathumb..:beer1:

Brill, that sounds great.
I guess the thing with coffee if how dark the roast is.
Thanks for the brew tips, I guess keeping will be easier if it gets warmer for a while, be on the IPAs and cider then.
Thanks againathumb..:beer1:

From memory, I used a medium roast, but it was nothing special - just a Tesco pack of ground coffee that I put into the cafetiere.

Good luck with it - let us know how it goes!

20200814_224844.jpg
Got round to doing the kit, added 7.8g Lavazza Prontissimo classic instant coffee and 125g dark brown sugar. Went with instant because no oil to destroy head retention and I didnt want Kalua beer. This was only bottled on Monday, primed with 95g dextrose and as the plastic bottle pressure tester had firmed up I cracked it open. There is a hint of coffee there without overpowering the beer. Body better than the plain kit.
Which considering where the conversations were at it a result. Would do it again.looking forward to it maturing. Even on such a warm night it is a good drink.

Thanks for the suggestions, very worth while.
Will try an out and out coffee stout and see where I stand taste wise.

First home brew smashed and I’m glad I choose this one, it’s a beaut. Brewed short and chucked some extra black treacle in and it came out at 4%... not brill but seems to be pretty standard with this kit. I’ve probably just over carbed it and will drop that down a bit next time . Taste and mouth feel is fantastic even though it’s only a couple of weeks in the bottle! Think I’ll try and tuck some away for a couple of months !!
1597524514485.jpeg

Back