St Peter's, Cream Stout

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr Ragley

Reaction score
Hi there.
New here.
I've just bottled up my first attempt at doing a stout. Wanted a milk stout. The only thing I could find was the St Peter's kit. Came with 2 tins and the best info I could find was that it didn't need any dextrose or DME.
Any how just checked the gravity at it weighed in at 3.7% when it should be 4.6% ABV.
What went wrong?
And after further research am I right in thinking if I use a standard stout kit and use lactose instead of DME that will give me a milk stout.
Thanks.

You cannot substitute Lactose for DME as it doesn't ferment. You could have added Lactose to your kit though.

Mine came in at 4% before priming and I added black treacle to up the fermentables and brewed short!! I think it’s probably the kit / yeast.... that said it tastes bloody fantastic

Ooh. Black treacle sounds good.
So how much lactose would you add. And would it go in with the fermentables?

Just a word of warning on priming with black treacle: be careful not to use too much - I tried it once with a stout kit and it massively overpowered the flavour. Only put in a couple of dessert spoons too. It's actually a really strong and bitter flavour - quite unlike treacle toffee (which is what I had in mind at the time...)

Just a word of warning on priming with black treacle: be careful not to use too much - I tried it once with a stout kit and it massively overpowered the flavour. Only put in a couple of dessert spoons too. It's actually a really strong and bitter flavour - quite unlike treacle toffee (which is what I had in mind at the time...)

Yeah, I chucked a coupe of tablespoons into the FV and it definitely added some flavour, I would probably go to 3 tablespoons next time...

Has anyone tried mixing up the ingredients for toffee; so say dark brown sugar, black treacle and golden syrup, and adding that as additional fermentables into their stout kit?

Latest posts

Back