St Peters golden ale question

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sunnydale

Reaction score
Hello

I have a batch of Golden ale currently in the FV, two days so far. My question is before I bottle it all up what flavors should I be looking for to tell if its on track or destined for the sink?

Any feedback appreciated

As long as it isn't sour you should be fine
And leave it for longer than the kit says at least double the time and don't be tempted to mess with the beer or check too much
Happy brewing
Spoc

I think MINIMUM generally you should keep the beer in the fermenter for 14 days.. before bottling.. it will be fermenting now for about 7 days even if slow and then the yeast will clear up off flavours and various compounds before settling out..

As long as it isn't sour you should be fine
And leave it for longer than the kit says at least double the time and don't be tempted to mess with the beer or check too much
Happy brewing
Spoc
Sorry Spoc, but Im going to disagree with you completely on this one.
The kit instructions state that the hops (**** powder) should be added when the kit is started. Doing this means that the flavours and aromas are all but driven off after 2 weeks in the FV. Adding the hops when fermentation has almost ceased gives, (imo) a far better result. The Golden Ale kit has been mucked around by the manufacturers to turn something that was half decent into something I will never buy again. Seeing as its supposed to be a fruity summer ale I would bottle after 2 weeks in the FV and store for another two. Leaving it longer in the FV on the hoppy powder will produce a less tasteful beer. Only my opinion and feel free to disagree, but Im only talking from experience with this kit.

So slightly confused as the instructions state the following

Add the hop sachet, then the yeast; cover the fermenter and leave to stand for 4-6 days in a warm place (between 18-20°C, 65-70°F). Fermentation will be complete when bubbles cease to rise (if you use a hydrometer, when the gravity remains constant below 1014°).

So instead of 4-6 we are looking at 14-16 days?

Sorry Spoc, but Im going to disagree with you completely on this one.
The kit instructions state that the hops (**** powder) should be added when the kit is started. Doing this means that the flavours and aromas are all but driven off after 2 weeks in the FV. Adding the hops when fermentation has almost ceased gives, (imo) a far better result. The Golden Ale kit has been mucked around by the manufacturers to turn something that was half decent into something I will never buy again. Seeing as its supposed to be a fruity summer ale I would bottle after 2 weeks in the FV and store for another two. Leaving it longer in the FV on the hoppy powder will produce a less tasteful beer. Only my opinion and feel free to disagree, but Im only talking from experience with this kit.
I just add the hops at day 10

I take it from the silence leaving for 14 days in the FV is common knowledge and the instructions are slightly out?

I take it from the silence leaving for 14 days in the FV is common knowledge and the instructions are slightly out?
Sorry for the confusion!!! Yep..I think the instructions (and ingredients) are way out. Assuming you have not added the hops I would brew plain for 7 days and then hop for 7 days and then bottle. The weather is warm at present and fermentation should be finished, esp. if it looks like there are virtually no bubbles on the surface.

My 'norm' for any dry hopped beers, irrespective of what the kit instructions tell you, is to wait until the primary has finished or about day 10 whichever is the longer, then rack off to a second FV (which for some is an optional step). Then I dry hop for 5 to 6 days.
And if its a light beer with a dry hop it's best drunk as soon as it comes good, since the hop impact starts to diminish early on.

Yeah, kits are always optimistic on times. Probably to make home brewing more appealing to newbies by making the wait seem shorter.

The "general rule" is 2 weeks in the fermenter, 2 weeks bottled in the warm to carbonate and 2 weeks bottles in the cold to clear.

Ahh I added the hops at the beginning of the brew as per the instructions. I will stick to the 2 weeks 2 weeks 2 weeks

Thanks for the feedback much appreciated

My 'norm' for any dry hopped beers, irrespective of what the kit instructions tell you, is to wait until the primary has finished or about day 10 whichever is the longer, then rack off to a second FV (which for some is an optional step). Then I dry hop for 5 to 6 days.
And if its a light beer with a dry hop it's best drunk as soon as it comes good, since the hop impact starts to diminish early on.
absolutely spot on Terry....no ifs...no buts....just do it...end of

One last question . As I added the hops at the start as per the instructions should I still wait 2 weeks in the Fv or cut my losses this time bottle as per instructions and hold the hops back on my next Brew?

One last question . As I added the hops at the start as per the instructions should I still wait 2 weeks in the Fv or cut my losses this time bottle as per instructions and hold the hops back on my next Brew?
Wait 2 weeks.

Latest posts

Back