St Peter's Honey Porter

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not sure I will do the honey porter again. Mine has just finished 2nd week conditioning. I tried one and the smell of honey is quite overpowering. It tastes just ok and is drinkable but the smell does put me off. Not sure if it will ever mellow.

The st peters cream stout however is a totally different case altogether. Just finished the 2 week carbonation stage and tried one before putting it out into the shed to condition. Was really nice, right amount of carbonation, good head retention the whole way through and lovely taste and body. Will try and leave this longer

St Peter's brew's in general need total pimping. The honey sucked eggs and the cream stout, well if you like over powering hops in your stout this is your beer. For me, no no no no no! I love my stouts, but not messed with like this - in fact so dissappointed from anecdotes from this forum and trying it that i wouldn't bother pimping it. Next brew please xD

I brewed this kit back in December and even after tasting it recently the honey taste and aroma is still very prominent. I don't think I will brew this again as it has an almost soapy taste at the end. Not the best in my opinion.

Well, a Honey Porter sounds interesting, at the very least.

I've always had a fondness for Guinness and Cider and did eventually hit on the idea of brewing a Stout and mixing it with cheap supermarket cider.

This kit sounds to be broadly similar sort of a plan, so i am interested in how this turns out.

The best advice to any novice kit brewer is very simple.

Ignore all the the timings mentioned in your kit instuctions:

Leave the brewing wort for 2 weeks before bottling (or kegging)
Leave it a further 2 weeks in relative warmth to carbonate
Leave it it at least 2 weeks in relative cool before drinking

And in between:

If in Doubt:
Leave it alone. Don't look inside, don't even peek inside, don't mess with it.
Leave it to sort itself out.

A kit like this will make very good and drinkable beer and brewing at this time of year will be fine.
Great advice đź‘Ť

I brewed this kit back in December and even after tasting it recently the honey taste and aroma is still very prominent. I don't think I will brew this again as it has an almost soapy taste at the end. Not the best in my opinion.

Was hoping a bit of time in the bottle would help, but by the sounds of your experience in not that optimistic. Nevermind, still work my way through them occasionally

Coincidence that I should see this, as I've just started one of these today.
Fingers crossed it's something that you enjoy. The honey aroma and taste is quite strong and not to my liking.

I tested another tonight just to make sure and mine is in the territory of being undrinkable as the honey aroma and taste is overpowering. Going to leave it for a few months to see if it improves.

No, wouldn't brew this again.........Still I'll drink the barrel, but wouldn't brew it again.

St Peter's beers are overhyped ****. Belongs in the same bin list as Burton Bridge extract ales ....yuck!! =)

I've added one of the cans of this kit to an all-grain stout recipe to give the extra gravity for an imperial stout ("Honey Impy"), delicious. And the other can? Added to a paler hoppy beer to make a honey barley wine, really coming into its own three years later.

Latest posts

Back