St Peter's Honey Porter

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I've had a couple of bottles in the interests of this review! It has quite an intense honey aroma and taste which is quite pleasant, not too sweet. Although it's still on the young side, I think it makes a nice drink. I still maintain it isn't a session beer as for me, the flavour might become a bit overpowering but as a pint in it's own right, it's very nice, certainly preferable to the oak aged rum ale that the jury's out on at the moment.

Half of mine is already gone. The Mrs and a friend both pulled some funny faces when they tried it but i really like it. It has a bitter start then the honey kicks in. Very refreshing. I could sink a lot of this and will be brewing again soon for sure.

I kegged a batch of this last night - brewed short (OG 1.053) and used some recovered Wyeast 1968 ESB yeast I had from an AG mild brew.

Took a sample from the fermenter and was impressed. It has a very strong/distinctive honey aroma and taste, but is surprisingly drinkable. I'm looking forward to trying it once it's had time to settle.

I went out on my dinner to a LHBS for some VWP and ended up buying this kit because of what I've read on this thread. It sounds like a nice beer and all going well, I'll get it going this weekend.

I pitched this yesterday afternoon, making it my third brew. It had an OG of 1044.

The two previous kits were both Young's which came with brewing sugar and priming sugar. This came with neither.

The instructions didn't mention using brewing sugar for the primary fermentation stage but did say to use half a teaspoon of sugar per pint...what sugar do people suggest to use?

I'm worried that this batch has suffered stuck fermentation. The OG was 1.044 and after 8 days the SG is only 1.020...

Before anyone asks, I did aerate the wort before adding the yeast.

I was wondering how long it took other people's to finish fermentation and what FG people got.

I got down to 1012 or so in about a week, but using reclaimed Wyeast 1968 from an AG brew and careful temperature control.

After conditioning at room temperature for two weeks, I tried some of this before taking it to my shed.

It's really nice, the honey comes through but isn't overpowering. I'm very impressed.

I did a brew of this a while back. It's similar to their Cream Stout kit. I enjoyed it, but did find the honey slightly overpowering. I love St Peter's Cream Stout and will be sticking with that in future rather than doing another batch of this - but if the honey appeals to you this is definitely worth a look.

Silly question, first time bought this one as was on the sale.
Last few was from Festival world and there was a different hops, come as a hop pellets . Also instructions was to add the hop pellets after 5 days.
On this St. Peter's its asking to add the hop powder before yeast, do I stick to instructions?
Thanks.

I'm fermenting this at the minute at a steady 18.8°C +/- 0.3°C using a heat pad controlled by an inkbird wifi with gravity recordings automatically recorded in brewspy using an ispindle. I brewed short to 20.5 litres and the OG was 1045.

Had planned to bottle after 2 weeks in the fv but it was still bubbling away. Currently at 1010 as reported by my ispindle with bubble still coming through airlock approximately every 5 minutes, so currently at 18 days so far. Will be leaving it until no bubbles and constant reading on the ispindle for a few days Expecting final gravity of 1010 or even 1009 going by current activity.

Currently have this in a keg in my kegerator, not been drinking it much yet as I have other kegs in there I should probably finish first, but have had a couple of pints from it. Pretty good so far and quite strong on the honey flavour if you like that sort of thing.

Just out of interest, has anyone done this kit before and had it for over 3 weeks in the fermenter ? Mine is on day 20 with bubbles coming through airlock still albeit at a reduced rate from previous days. Currently every 7.5 minutes. I haven't opened the lid to peer in yet but the ispindle is saying its currently at 1.010 and has been for the last 2-2.5 days. I do intend to leave it until there are no further bubbles and a few extra days to settle, so will be going into its 4th week !!

Latest posts

Back