St Peters Ruby Red Ale review

Discussion in 'Beer Kits & Brewing Equipment Reviews.' started by jobby, Feb 4, 2012.

Help Support The Homebrew Forum UK by donating using the link above.
  1. Feb 4, 2012 #1

jobby

jobby

jobby

started this kit early jan and kegged with 85grams of sugar after 10days fermenting, almost 3 weeks in the keg and its a good pint if a little cloudy still, will leave it for a few more weeks before tucking in, will add more info at that time :cheers:

2. Mar 4, 2012 #2

jobby

jobby

jobby

well almost finished the keg and so far its the best brew ive done much better than the wherry, thats just my taste though. will be getting another one on when i have an empty keg. :cheers:

3. Apr 10, 2012 #3

Williamo

Williamo

Williamo

This is my second brew after a successful Edme Stout that was bought as a Christmas present.

I have just bottled my Ruby and it looks okay although I found the instructions a little light.

When I mixed this and put it in the bucket it bubbled up and died back very quickly; maybe under 2 days. I then had to wait just under 4 weeks for the gravity to reach 1015, I had worried that this wouldn’t get there at one point! Did anyone else have this experience?

I have bottled this up and will try and forget about it again for a month..

4. Apr 17, 2012 #4

calumscott

calumscott

calumscott

As promised, one direct comparison of the RRA kit versus a bottle of RRA from tesco...

Firstly this is in no way scientific and is subject to lots of subjectiveness even though I tried to be as objective as I could - but then I actually can't be because I made one of them myself...

The homebrew bottle is better than the bought bottle. :thumb:

It's got a better mouthfeel, the force carbed bought version just doesn't have the velvety feel of the home brew, the fizz kills it a bit - and I like my bottled beer quite fizzy (I primed mine with 3/4 tsp in 500ml bottles).

The homebrew has a more rounded and mellow flavour (the key flavour notes are almost exactly alike mind) and a little more sweetness, again this could be the force carb of the bought version killing a little of the sweetness or it could be that the bottle conditioning just makes a better beer being "alive" for longer.

So I inflicted them both on a friend. She picked the homebrew not knowing which was which.

So I inflicted them both on SWMBO. She picked the homebrew KNOWING which was which and THAT speaks volumes!!!

Chris2304 likes this.
  5. Apr 17, 2012 #5

Williamo

Williamo

Williamo

Hey;

Thanks for the update on this, I am really looking forward to trying mine but have at least two more weeks to wait!

Whats next on the list have you tried any of the other St Peters brews? We are heading to Suffolk this weekend so was going to drop in on the brewery; maybe they will give me some brew tips! :-)

Will

6. Apr 22, 2012 #6

ceejam

ceejam

ceejam

I've done this kit 3 times now, each time dry hopping with fuggles & cascade to try and get a similar hop profile to Inveralmond's Thrappledouser.
    It is a lovely beer, certainly my favourite & goes down well with everyone else who's sampled it.

I'm tempted to brew this again & either not dry hop, or split into two batches & only dry hop one of them.

BigMuddy likes this.
  7. Apr 24, 2012 #7

Andyhull

Andyhull

Andyhull

Regular.

Well after reading Calums post i'll be adding this to brew list, the list keeps getting longer rather than shorter :whistle:

Im suposed to be starting extact brewing in September after my birthday when my new toys will have been dropped off by the birthday man. :grin:

8. Apr 24, 2012 #8

Williamo

Williamo

Williamo

Still a few weeks to go on my Ruby but I have picked up a Wherry kit for my next batch.. any tips?!

9. Apr 25, 2012 #9

jobby

jobby

jobby

just kegged my 2nd ruby red and hope its a good as the 1st :cheers:

10. Apr 27, 2012 #10

Slate Miner

Slate Miner

Slate Miner

St.Peter's Ruby Red Ale was my 4th beer kit after Woodforde's Wherry, St.Peter's Golden Ale & Cooper's Aussie Lager. To my mind it's the best brew I've done so far, just beating the Wherry into second place. :cheers:

I brewed the Ruby Red as per the instructions, OG 1042, FG 1010, so a ABV of around 4.3%. Fermented without problem, I finished up with 39 - 500ml bottles. Munton's Premium Gold Yeast was included, as well as a sachet of Goldings Hop Powder which incidently smelled lovely :thumb:

This was the first kit that I brewed with bottled spring water rather than tap water, I wonder if this improved the end result? Either way it's an excellent pint all for less than 60 pence a pint! :drink:

It's only been in the bottle for 4 weeks, looking forward to seeing how this improves over the next few weeks/months if I can leave it alone in the meantime. ;) :D and yes it is Red...ish. :eek:

Recommended. :thumb:

11. May 11, 2012 #11

mason

mason

mason

Had a bottle tonight as its three weeks old and deserves a check. I was in the garage. /excuses

Very impressed, interested to see how it does in a few more weeks.

Good flavour, compares well to the shop bought stuff. Will do a do another once an fv frees up. Good tasting pint. Shan't bang on more as no one has had a bad word to say yet about this kit.

Have read a few revs tonight so thought i'd contribute. Got a wherry, and milestones crusader and raspberry wheat beer all chugging away in FVs right now, looking forward to them.

12. May 21, 2012 #12

Rich747

Rich747

Rich747

Just about to start this kit. Instructions a little sparse.

What temp did you pitch the yeast and what temp did you ferment at?

Thanks.

13. May 22, 2012 #13

calumscott

calumscott

calumscott

Standard Ale stuff Rich.

Pitch anywhere under around 24ish, ferment around 18ish.

14. Jun 8, 2012 #14

andylanc1975

andylanc1975

andylanc1975

Another positive vote from me for this kit. Had absolutely no problems with it, has been sat out in the garage for just under 4 weeks (I ran out of beer so she had to come in early, sorry!) and it's an amazing pint. Perfectly clear, good level of carbonation from the keg and a taste that I reckon would challenge a bottle of the stuff.

15. Jul 2, 2012 #15

Barticus

Barticus

Barticus

So, my Ruby Red has had two weeks warm conditioning and 2 days :eek: yes 2 days in cold conditioning.

Can home tonight and had no beer in the house so ..... excuse excuses :)

Anyway, it still has a little twang to it but is so much better than the sample I tasted when bottling. Really hoping now that this tang will drift away given more time in the shed.

Apart from the twang its crystal clear and a lovely Ruby colour and is definitely pretty close to the bottle version.

Can I just say this waiting to be in a "stock" position is an absolute bitch. :cry:

16. Jul 16, 2012 #16

Drayman151

Drayman151

Drayman151

This beer should be in the rolls royce category it is the best beer i have brewed and for it is of great taste and also has a good body and the beer is a true reflection on how beer should be
    i had a few friends round to my bar and it went in 2 days and a comment from 1 was better brew some more so i now brewing 9 gallons and when it comes through the hand pulled pump (Angram ) its very very good and to be honest its to good to be true and i am going to brew this fro christmas and save the 9 gallon cask

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

17. Jul 16, 2012 #17

Rich747

Rich747

Rich747

Yup. The only problem with this amazing beer is that it seems to evaporate from the keg. I definately haven't drunk it, surely?. Anyone else had this problem?

nickb007 likes this.
  18. Aug 17, 2012 #18

Russ146

Russ146

Russ146

After trying a lot of kits i always come back to Ruby.... it must be allowed to mature to appreciate this wonderful beer

Its simply gorgeous

19. Aug 17, 2012 #19

ceejam

ceejam

ceejam

Yup, just supped a bottle of this from February - Absolutely the best beer I have homebrewed in the last 18 months!

20. Aug 24, 2012 #20

davel

davel

davel

Very new to the brewing game now this is my 2nd brew after a Muntons Pilsner which is still very cloudy
    i planned a nice night in with some shop bought cerveza,while putting them in the fridge i passed the Ruby Red and thought go on try a glass
    so after 2weeks in the barrel i had to sample it
    i was so impressed i had a few more
    im looking at getting another barrel so i have this on tap right through the winter
    cheers all
    the cerveza is still in the fridge :drink:

cabernet sauvignon
    coopers Mexican cerveza
    muntons gold
    wineworks pinot grigio
    magnum strawberry cider
    solomon grundy elderflower
    st peters ruby red