St Peters Ruby Red Ale review

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I earlier said this was a little too bitter, but just tried a 4 month aged bottle (the only one I managed to save) and the bitterness was much less. It clearly needs some time to take the edge off.

I bottled mine (batch primed 23l with 85gram white sugar) on 22nd December and just cracked one open tonight just to get an idea of taste development...

I'm stunned.

It's 'gawjus', even at this early early stage.

It'll be going up in the loft over the weekend for at least a month so will now be looking forward to a session on this even more.

Cheers St Peter's!

Got one of these fermenting on Saturday, it gave me a bit of a scare at the end though, the brew session went well, got all the malt out of the tins nicely, all my timings went well, temperature down to pitching temp was pretty quick, wort was nicely aerated as the water dropped from counter to floor level, and everything was well mixed as I topped up the water, brewing a little short to about 21.5 litres.

Next came the scare, even after all this I took a sample for OG and it came out as 1.020, WTF I thought have I missed something, should I have added additional sugars etc etc, so I gave it another big stir and tested again, upto around 1.041 - 042, so a lot better.

The moral of the story being, even though it was well mixed and then well mixed again, it may still not be mixed enough, any way fermentation is now well under way, can't wait to taste it once complete.

Just finished the fermentation of this kit as my first foray into Homebrewing. Spent 10 days in the FV with an OG of 1.040 and a FG of 1.012 for an ABV of around 3.7

Found the instructions a but on the light side (and the hopeful side, 3 days for first stage fermentation: yeah ok!). Ended up taking a lot more advice from pages like this one, and mostly this one to be honest!

After the first fee days into fermenting I took a sample for my hydrometer (and my taste buds) and was amazed at how clean is all was by that point. Absolutely no suspended sediment at all and what an aroma too!

Bottling was great as well as it gave me a chance to get a good look at it for the first time, and the results certainly haven't disappointed so far!
I decided to batch prime with around 90g of caster sugar boiled in around 500ml of water to give me a total bottled volume of 21.5L all in 500ml bottles.
They're all sitting under cover in the spare room on day 3 of their journey to drinkability. I plan on taking some bottles home with me for the 'auld man' to try along with some friends, so here's hoping it clarifies a bit and turns into a nice little beer.

Definitely impressed by this and already planning my next brew-move, and thinking of trying out St. Peter's Stout.....I'm a fan of the Black Stuff, so hope this lives upto it!

Started this yesterday, mainly after the good reviews on here OG was 1040 and its now fermenting away at between 20-23c
I liked the hops powder that you can put in, I also used Gervin English Ale Yeast instead of the supplied one which was pitched at
around 26c.
Let you know how I get on ;)

Started one a few weeks ago.
OG was 1041 and I let it in the FV for 3 weeks.
Bottled over the week-end with 100g of priming sugar.
I will let you know how it turns out.

I thought I'd add my notes on this in case it helps anyone ...

I brewed a Ruby kit which I started on 14 Jan (23 days ago). I mixed it a little short at 21L instead of 23L, OG was 1042. After 5 days fermentation (at 21C, probably a little too warm) had slowed significantly and SG was down to 1012. I kept it in the primary for another 2 days before realising I had forgotten to add the hop powder sachet, but hey, I wanted more aroma so I meant to add the hops late :-).

The hops therefore went in on 21 Jan, 7 days after the wort went into the FV. The next day (22 Jan, 8 days) SG was still 1012 and being impatient I racked it off into a bottling bucket onto 110g of gran sugar dissolved into some boiling water and bottled it. It then stayed at 21C for warm conditioning in the bottle until 4 Feb (11 days) before moving into the garage for cold storage. I tried a bottle last night (5 Feb, 1 day in the cold) and I thought it was lovely! There is rather more sediment in the bottom of the bottles than I'd like, but I'm sure I can put that down to my lack of patience. I started an Evil Dog IPA on the same day (14 Jan) and that's had a bit more care and time lavished upon it, so I'm hopeful that it will turn out well.

In summary -

* Ruby in primary for only 8 days at 21C
* added hops at 7 days
* racked into bottling bucket onto 110g gran sugar (dissolved into boiling water)
* 11 days warm conditioning at 21C
* a couple of days so far in the cold
* tastes great, will make this again!

After 11 days the fg was at 1010 from og of 1040 ,I then put the FV in the garage for 48hrs ish to cold crash it.
Just bottled 10 and put the rest in a keg after priming with 100g of sugar. Had a cheeky half pint as to what was left
over and I'm mighty impressed. Its still very young but you can taste the potential in it. Overall very pleased ,definitely
putting it on my 'do again list' :cheers:

BIGJIM72 said:
Said it before & will say again-its a nice kit. If you are liking this then AG is worth looking at.

Would love to,but I just aint got the time,perhaps when my 4 kids have grown up I will :rofl:

I had a mini session on mine for the first time tonight and by god its lovely.
I can honestly see myself having an FV wholly and solely for the purpose of having a rolling stock of it.

Started on 27/01/14 with 500g med spray malt.

Og 1.038
Current 1.010

Racked and gone into shed for a week. Will keg next weekend. Was expecting it to be higher than what it was but suppose its nice to have something under 6%

Well this just gets better and better. Been in the bottle 8 weeks and its great to have 'lying' around to come home to.

(edit: I did try to add a pic but no luck with that.)

Cracked open my first bottle of Ruby Red tonight after 4 weeks in the bottle, 3 warm and 1 cold, so still pretty young, but very tasty.

IMG_20140228_200102.jpg

BIGJIM72 said:
Said it before,say it again-nice kit,not cheap but brew a little short & its a nice beer

I've not brewed it myself or drank it short but I imagine it would work well. My friend brewed it and I thought there were lots of plus points - pleasant flavour, lovely and clear, good head retention - but did find it a little thin, which brewing short should help.

I had this one as a christmas present so put it on as soon as I could, left it for a fortnight in the FV before bottling half and kegging half, left it of a further 3 weeks and just started drinking it now, Its bleeding lovely, Glad I followed all the recommendations on here and put it on my wish list, yes it does remind me of the hobgoblin, this is very close to the top of my must get another one quick!!

ceejam said:
I've done this kit 3 times now, each time dry hopping with fuggles & cascade to try and get a similar hop profile to Inveralmond's Thrappledouser.
It is a lovely beer, certainly my favourite & goes down well with everyone else who's sampled it.

I'm tempted to brew this again & either not dry hop, or split into two batches & only dry hop one of them.
Ceejam, I'm intrigued. The St Peters is my next brew and I'm a big Thrappledouser fan. Does it come out pretty close? If so, have you worked out a Lia Fail one too?
Cheers

I got this one started earlier today. I brewed short to 20L which gave me a starting gravity of 1046. Used some cheap ocado bottled water.

The St Peters IPA is my favourite kit so far so I'll be happy if this is anywhere near as good.

Latest posts

Back