St Peters Ruby Red Ale review

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chance1234

Reaction score
This is the second beer kit I have done. Tastewise, I would say it is spot on and you would be hard pressed to choose between this and a pub poured pint. The instructions were a bit spartan with one bit of ambiguity (adding the hops; I did not stir I just sprinkled). Whilst the taste is good, It is a little heavy - more accurately it is a little less light if that makes sense. Will probably do this again, but save it for a winter drink.

This is the second beer kit I have done. Tastewise, I would say it is spot on and you would be hard pressed to choose between this and a pub poured pint. The instructions were a bit spartan with one bit of ambiguity (adding the hops; I did not stir I just sprinkled). Whilst the taste is good, It is a little heavy - more accurately it is a little less light if that makes sense. Will probably do this again, but save it for a winter drink.

Think this was probably my favourite kit. As you say, very similar to a quality pub pint, but a little heavier.
My other favourites were Woodfordes. I tried them all except Bure Gold. They too came out very moreish. Good luck with brew 3

Although my 14th beer kit, it's my first review. It went as planned OG 1042, FG 1010 giving ABV of 4.3% as per the label. Although not red I would say the colour was a bright orange/amber with a very thick creamy head (I'd added 110g of sugar for 2ndary which gave 2 vols CO2, which was a bit overdoing it perhaps). Good head retention and lots of lacing so plenty of those head proteins in there. It was very full bodied and although I can't add too many of those poetic descriptions of flavour did I detect some orange peel? Anyway, very, very tasty, and very moreish. Probably the best bitter I've brewed and compared very favourably to the Woodforde's Wherry which was similar although a friend of mine described it with faint praise as being "inoffensive". In short definitely one to try again and indeed maybe I'll try another of the St Peter's stable to compare.

I’ve just bought this kit. Was thinking of possibly adding 250g or so of medium spray malt just to up the abv a bit. I gather no one has has any issues with the kit supplied yeast? I notice the sachet is only 6g.

Back