St peters ruby red quick 1 bottle test

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobR

Reaction score
I brewed a ruby red 11 days ago i bottled it on the 5th day as the instructions said fermentation will be finished in 4-6 days i took hydro readings over 48 hours an they stayed th same they have been carbonated for 6 days do you think its safe to cool 1 bottle and give it a try i know i should of left in fermenter for atleast 2 weeks but the hydro readings wernt changing

Just to double check are you saying it finished fermenting in five days?

Members usually suggest two weeks.

I brewed a ruby red 11 days ago i bottled it on the 5th day as the instructions said fermentation will be finished in 4-6 days i took hydro readings over 48 hours an they stayed th same they have been carbonated for 6 days do you think its safe to cool 1 bottle and give it a try i know i should of left in fermenter for atleast 2 weeks but the hydro readings wernt changing

Yeah while Its probably going to be okay I would never bottle that early, Hydro readings will slow down and even so there is a period where the beer will bulk clear up and drop and your bottled brew will be much better for it most of us agree 2 weeks minimum in the primary..

What was your final gravity?

By all means give it a try cool a bottle and try it, but you have only pitched the yeast 10 days ago and its probably carbing up so do not expect it to taste its best at this stage.

Just to double check are you saying it finished fermenting in five days?

Members usually suggest two weeks.
Yes it finished on the instructions it said 4-6 days but i took 2 hydro readings at 1.010 the kit said to bottle when gravity reads under 1.014 for 48 hours i tried 1 anyway and it defonatly isnt ready didnt even drink much of it just hope the flavour gets better in the next few weeks in the bottle

S
Yes it finished on the instructions it said 4-6 days but i took 2 hydro readings at 1.010 the kit said to bottle when gravity reads under 1.014 for 48 hours i tried 1 anyway and it defonatly isnt ready didnt even drink much of it just hope the flavour gets better in the next few weeks in the bottle
Sadly Kit instructions are notoriously bad for making you think you can mix it together and drink your beer in its prime within a week.

It was many years since I did a kit beer but this was one of the few I did and it did turn out great but if I remember it was a bit of a mucky one in the fermenter and I actually left it 3 weeks there to clear up.. then bottled it.. I would say for future def wait a few weeks.

Still its only been 10 days I would leave it now at room temp for another week -10 days then put them somewhere cooler if you can

S

Sadly Kit instructions are notoriously bad for making you think you can mix it together and drink your beer in its prime within a week.

It was many years since I did a kit beer but this was one of the few I did and it did turn out great but if I remember it was a bit of a mucky one in the fermenter and I actually left it 3 weeks there to clear up.. then bottled it.. I would say for future def wait a few weeks.

Still its only been 10 days I would leave it now at room temp for another week -10 days then put them somewhere cooler if you can
Thats the plan mate going to go with the 2 2 2 on the next brew just going to leave it atleast 3 weeks in the bottle now before trying again hopefully it will be drinkable

One issue is that technically the instructions aren’t necessarily wrong, primary fermentation on ales is often complete within a week (or less) but a) its not always the case and and b) most beers end up clearer and I think on the whole better if given another week in primary. Basically you can produce drinkable beer in 10 days in that it will probably be alcoholic fizzy and won’t kill you, but with a few notable exceptions (such as Weissbier which I find can go grain to glass in a week and be pretty damm good) you are better off leaving your beer for longer at every stage.

One issue is that technically the instructions aren’t necessarily wrong, primary fermentation on ales is often complete within a week (or less) but a) its not always the case and and b) most beers end up clearer and I think on the whole better if given another week in primary. Basically you can produce drinkable beer in 10 days in that it will probably be alcoholic fizzy and won’t kill you, but with a few notable exceptions (such as Weissbier which I find can go grain to glass in a week and be pretty damm good) you are better off leaving your beer for longer at every stage.
Ye it was an alcohol taste with a little fizz there was bubbles no head though it smells like beer but certainly cant taste the flavours hopfully they will apear in a few weeks tasted a little stale really but i think that was because there was not much fizz trial and error hopefully next brew will be better. I used sodium percabonate as a no rinse sanitizer as thats what it was advertised as but ive read different opinions on this stuff some good some say its no good im going to get a bottle cleaner and bottle tree just dont know what to use star san or chem san has anyone used chem san and any opinions on it

Hi mate, I use sodium percarbonate for all my brews and I've never had a bad one yet. As long as you use the correct dosage I don't see any problem.

Cheers mate i used 25g per 5 ltrs as instructed hopefully ill be fine then

Latest posts

Back