Stabilising

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 39926

Reaction score
What's the consensus with stabilising something that's finished with some gravity left ?

I've got a mead here, OG 1.1120, looks to have stopped @ 1.010. Using CML mead yeast, so just racking into secondary now. Happy with the sweetness.

Now, when this clears up, assuming it's still stable at that gravity, would you stablise or not ? I've heard one or two stories about brews restarting when there's some residual sugar - I've have thought that at around 14% or so, I'd be at tolerance or close. Just thinking it may be wise as an insurance policy against bottle bombs.

Last edited:
I always use stabiliser and have had wine carry on fermenting in the bottles, when i found out there was pressure in the bottles i released the pressure every night until they stopped it didn't carry on long (peace of mind)

Thanks, there's pasteurisation I suppose, don't feel like faffing about with that.

I think I'll let it sit in secondary for a good while, get some stable readings and then keep an eye on the bottles as you suggested.

Fire some stabiliser in and use plastic bottles give them a bit of a squeeze as you put the caps on and you will then see if the are still fermenting if
they pop back out again.

Latest posts

Back