Stainless Steel Minikegs - Teething Issues?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joetp

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

So I got sick of bottling and all the faff involved and pulled the trigger on a couple of stainless steel 5L minikegs and a tap/CO2 regulator. I attempted to bottle 10Lish into two kegs and then force prime one by by shaking at 20 PSI. I think I noticed a CO2 leak as a result of a missing nylon washer during this process, when pulled, it tasted nothing like when I bottled it (like posh NEIPA orange juice) - it tasted oxidised and lifeless which I've never experienced before when bottling.

Does anyone know anything about the missing nylon washer? Are they standard size? It's the bit here where the leak is:

1612962828192.png

Also, does anyone have any experience with these stainless steel mini kegs? I'm not sure what has happened to make the beer taste so lifeless - maybe oxygen was getting in when I was trying to shake and force carbonate? I have another 5L keg in my cool pantry - should I maybe get it out and prime with sugar instead and leave in a warm place? Or will that not work since it's been cooled down?

Any general guidance will be appreciated. I'm very disappointed with my kegging experience so far, and I'm hoping this is salvageable haha!

Thanks,

Joe

Latest posts

Back