Stainless steel pipe cutting

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thegrantickle

Regular.
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm making a HLT/HERMS tank, and I have a stainless steel wort chiller which I am fitting into the ot as a HERMS coil. I need to cut a couple of points on the pipe to make it fit the pot. I don't have an angle grinder. Does anybody have a suggestion of how to do this, neatly, or a shop etc. I could take it to to get it done cheaply?

Cheers

Hi all,

I'm making a HLT/HERMS tank, and I have a stainless steel wort chiller which I am fitting into the ot as a HERMS coil. I need to cut a couple of points on the pipe to make it fit the pot. I don't have an angle grinder. Does anybody have a suggestion of how to do this, neatly, or a shop etc. I could take it to to get it done cheaply?

Cheers
An ordinary copper pipe cutter will do it albeit not so easily and you’ll most likely ruin the cutting wheel - but they’re cheap.

Like H said the pipe cutter is the best, you can get special wheels to cut through stainless. Someone I worked with got me a bag of cutting wheels when we were installing lubrication pipes onto conveyors but I don't know where they came from. A normal pipe cutter will work but you will very quickly blunt the wheel.

I'm sure a hacksaw would work, I mentioned it because it's something you might already have in the house. But access might be problem, I don't know. A pipe-cutter would probably be easier and simpler if you have one.

With a hacksaw, I think you'll probably have trouble getting a 'square'/'flat'(?) cut. With copper tube, it's easy enough to correct with a file.

I'd be tempted to spend good money in the right tool and then sell it. Or search Google maps for someone who fabricates stainless. Catering equipment manufacturers are a good start.
When looking for a 'favour', I've always found it best to turn up in person at the workshop door and ask how much they charge to cut something. If it's one cut or something simple, the may do it for free.

Mind you, I don't know if people who deal in stainless maybe consider themselces a cut about and have fancy facilities such a a reception area!

If you DO use a hacksaw, use a brand new blade and probably the most expensive you can find. Using a brand nww blade means you don't have to worry about rust as it will be sharp and won't have been in contact with mild steel. You also need to consider who to get rid of burrs.

All my advise is from memory, so please verify it with someone who can give you a 100% answer!

If I were you, I'd call the supplier of the materials for advice.

Last edited:
If you use a saw you should go slow and use cutting fluid to get the heat away because stainless gets harder to cut if you let it get hot. You can get special blades for cutting it at Screwfix.

I've used an ordinary pipe cutter on stainless steel dip-tubes and thermowells with no issue. They give a neat cut and round off the edges a little so no nasty sharp bits. Does require a bit more effort than on copper pipe so one with more of a handle will probably be better/easier.

Bought this little guy from Screwfix for £2.99. No issues at all, sliced right through on a few rotations. Did about 8 cuts including test cuts and it was a perfect clean cut every time. Bargain!

Attachments

• IMG_20210705_185650.jpg
    IMG_20210705_185650.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 35
Back